Author Topic: Unofficial Code::Blocks installer for Windows (svn 10408)  (Read 172063 times)

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
Re: Unofficial Windows installer for Code::Blocks SVN 6931
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
Hi.

Very few changes actually were necessary to get everything to compile and work together. Code::Blocks is a very stable program IMHO.

First thing to take into account: my binaries are not compatible with the Code::Blocks Team binaries: they use wxWidgets 2.8.10, and I use wxWidgets 2.8.11. There are a few notable differences that were noticed while testing - part of the reason why 2.8.11 wasn't adopted by the official developers yet.

I only undefined WX_PRECOMP in order to compile cbDiff, and changed the placing of the option in the File menu. Not a big deal, though maybe I should warn the author about this.
I also made a minor change that has zero impact on SpellChecker functionality: I changed the default dictionary to en_US (to match the bundled dictionaries). Hardly worth a patch IMHO.

FileManager, as it so happens, was not changed at all, so I'm not certain of how I may have caused the runtime crash.

EDIT: I tried it on my setup and could cause a crash, but I think it's FileManager related. Which path (which kind of files, and with what permissions) were you trying to navigate to?

If you could take the time to build the svn trunk and FileManager yourself, test it in a setup that is closer to what is used for the nightly builds, and confirm the crash, then we should contact the FileManager author. There are helpful links in the installer disclaimer.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:02:34 pm by ptDev »

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
Re: Unofficial Windows installer for Code::Blocks SVN 6940
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:30 pm »
A new version is available, based on svn 6940, with new UI features. Also updated the cbDiff plugin to the latest source code provided by the author. As usual, the download link is in the top post.

Offline ooo7

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
Hi PtDev,

I installed the latest build given in your first post link. But i can t see the the extra plugins you said you  have added.

please help.
thanks
ooo7

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »
I installed the latest build given in your first post link. But i can t see the the extra plugins you said you  have added.
Make sure you ENABLE the plugins during installation.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline ooo7

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 03:07:41 pm »
That did the trick.
thank you :)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »
a feature request:
Is it possible to run the installer several times, each time, I can manually select/deselect some plugins to maintain the installed c::b??

this is because I may forget to install a plugin in the first time I run the installer.

thanks.

Edit

Here:

http://code.google.com/p/codeblocks-unofficial-installer-win32/

You can add some statements that this package also contains two CHMs, (c++ and codeblocks manual). very nice
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:59:34 pm by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »
a feature request:
Is it possible to run the installer several times, each time, I can manually select/deselect some plugins to maintain the installed c::b??
You already can safely re-run the installer to install additional plugins. Uninstalling just some components through the installer is not supported. For this purpose you either simply disable/uninstall/delete the plugins you don't like from within C::B or uninstall C:B completely (the config will be kept, if not portable) and the re-install.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 03:01:58 pm »
a feature request:
You already can safely re-run the installer to install additional plugins. Uninstalling just some components through the installer is not supported. For this purpose you either simply disable/uninstall/delete the plugins you don't like from within C::B or uninstall C:B completely (the config will be kept, if not portable) and the re-install.
thanks for the reply.
That's the way I currently use, but if the installer program can add/delete plugins, it will be more satisfied. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »
That's the way I currently use, but if the installer program can add/delete plugins, it will be more satisfied. :D
Again: Adding plugins is already possible. The ability to remove plugins through the installer sounds a bit weird to me. In the end it's an installer and not an un-installer and you have the ability through C::B itself. So why would you need another tool for that purpose? I mean, even if we do this, how many user would actually make use of such function?

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:39 pm »
I think ollydbg is referring to having "Modify" or "Repair" functionality in the installer. NSIS does not provide this by default, though. I read in a few wikis/forums that this is not evident to implement and requires some advanced script trickery (for example, you need to allow deletion of files in the background, etc.).

Having said that, it is indeed sufficient either to uninstall certain plugins from within Code::Blocks, or install while overwriting an existing installation (existing files, as well as registry keys, are overwritten).

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
Re: Unofficial Windows installer for Code::Blocks SVN 6955
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 11:25:37 pm »
Installer now updated to svn revision 6955, in order to provide users with the updated DoxyBlocks plugin that has improved support for the latest versions of doxygen. The download link can be found in the first post. Enjoy!

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
Re: Unofficial Windows installer for Code::Blocks SVN 6965
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 11:26:19 pm »
New update: Powershell has been renamed to Tools+ and, along with FileManager, it is now an official "contrib" plugin. As usual, a download link is supplied in the first post.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 12:17:03 am »
New update: Powershell has been renamed to Tools+ and, along with FileManager, it is now an official "contrib" plugin. As usual, a download link is supplied in the first post.

That was quick :)

EDIT: I tried it on my setup and could cause a crash, but I think it's FileManager related. Which path (which kind of files, and with what permissions) were you trying to navigate to?

As the author, I'd like to hear more about this. I haven't had a crash in a while, but it's probably not that hard to make it fall over in its present state.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:22:21 am by dmoore »

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
As the author, I'd like to hear more about this. I haven't had a crash in a while, but it's probably not that hard to make it fall over in its present state.

It was a rare occurence, and I couldn't repeat it for the last couple of times I updated the installer. According to the first user who reported the crash, it seemed to happen while navigating into a "deep" path. I could only notice such a crash once while trying to confirm it, but found myself unable to reproduce it. Still, I thought that might have been related to permissions or trying to access remote folders. Also, the binaries provided in the unofficial installer are not compatible with the official ones, so this should be kept in mind (changes to wx2.8.11 in runtime behavior could cause crashes).

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
Re: Unofficial Windows installer for Code::Blocks SVN 7006
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 10:59:57 am »
Latest update: includes the changes of the latest nightly build plus a few more fixes (revision 7006). Get it from the first post while it's hot!