Author Topic: Code::Blocks 13.12 Long Hangs - Responding Poorly  (Read 11313 times)

Offline kyund

• Single posting newcomer
Code::Blocks 13.12 Long Hangs - Responding Poorly
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »
Hi All,

Using Code::Blocks 13.12 on Linux CCCLaptop 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u1 i686 GNU/Linux.  This is a Dell Precision M6000 laptop with lots o' hard disk & RAM.

Starting about a month or so back (no update to C::B, only regular "Software Update" from the menu), the IDE will frequently hang (for up to a minute) when changing file tabs within the IDE, especially if the destination file is a .h file.  Running C::B from the command line shows the following immediately after it "comes back":
NativeParser::GetAllPathsByFilename(): Traversing '/home/.../Controller' for: ControllerFonts.*
NativeParser::GetAllPathsByFilename(): Traversing ' - /home/.../' for: ControllerFonts.*
NativeParser::GetAllPathsByFilename(): Found 1 files:
- /home/.../Controller/ControllerFonts.cpp
ClassBrowser::OnThreadEvent(): Updating class browser...
ClassBrowser::OnThreadEvent(): Class browser updated.

Starting this week, I am also experiencing significant delays with the Code Completion and have had to completely disable it.

NOTE:  both issues actually seemed to get worse when I applied several software updates yesterday.

Things I have tried:
1)  Got rid of lots of (unneeded) files in the project directory, hopefully reducing parse set
2)  Disabled Code Completion entirely
3)  Turned off Tracker* in Debian (these were competing for CPU)
4)  Uninstall/Re-install C::B 13.12 - no change in behavior
5)  Checked for infinite loop linkages via sym links in /usr/include (didn't see any)
6)  Asked the Oracle (Google) for solutions...none found

Any ideas how to make this thing usable again?  Some rumors about wxworks 3, but...

Thanks,
kyund

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Code::Blocks 13.12 Long Hangs - Responding Poorly
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:27:40 pm »
Sorry about the bad experience. :)
I would suggest try a new C::B nightly build version.
BTW: is it possible to build C::B trunk from source yourself?
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline yaoyansi

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Code::Blocks 13.12 Long Hangs - Responding Poorly
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:36:13 am »
It seems that we have the same problem. My C::B freezes either, and my home directory has 396 sub-directories. Here is my post
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19936.msg136142.html#msg136142

Finally, I find a temp solution to walk around this problem. The solution is to modify all of the absolute source file paths to relative file paths in the *.cbp file manually. But I'm not satisfied with this temp solution at all, because I have to change the *.cbp file which is generated by CMake.
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19936.msg136145.html#msg136145

Did you solve this problem with a better solution?

Cheers

Offline yaoyansi

• Multiple posting newcomer