Author Topic: Navigating Backwards and Forwards through code - How To???  (Read 4168 times)

whyOwhy

Navigating Backwards and Forwards through code - How To???
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:05 am »
Hi folks,

Been using Code::Blocks for a while now. Great product!

One thing however that I just can't figure out is how to navigate forwards and backwards through code to previous positions. Using MSVS2005 and MinGW-Developer-Studio, they have in the toolbars by default buttons to navigate forwards and backwards through your code. For example, you are on line 2894 of your code, you scroll up to another function, edit a line and then want to jump back to your previous position to continue editing. I'm sure its a simple question but i just cant figure out what the toolbar button or hotkey is for this simple function.

Thanks!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Navigating Backwards and Forwards through code - How To???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:19 am »
I think this feature should be documented somewhere in big bold flashy letters. I haven't tried it myself, but the answer is: it's already implemented thru the Browse Tracker plugin. Wiki entry here.

BTW, searching the forums would have given you the answer too. It's been asked many times.

whyOwhy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:18:57 am »
Thanks, but I did search, both the Code::Blocks forum and Google! No luck though unfortunately, hence why i'm asking.

Yes, the Browse Tracker plugin has the options to set 'BrowseMarks' manually, or to jump between various code files that you have recently browsed, but (to my knowledge) doesnt have an automatic 'navigate forwards and backwards' option to navigate to where the cursor has previously been like MSVS2005 and MinGW-Developer-Studio have by default in their toolbars. MSVC2005 was my choice IDE for XP, but i've since been required to move to Linux and so I close Code::Blocks as my IDE. Everything is excellent but i miss that simple feature...

Does anyone know of another plugin or if Code::Blocks already has this basic (i believe) feature somewhere?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:23:28 am »
Even if Browse Tracker doesn't do what you want, it's the closest thing to it we have at the moment. Furthermore, it's a good starting point if that functionality is ever going to be implemented.