Author Topic: C::B nightly filetype icons are ugly  (Read 12682 times)

DJMaze

C::B nightly filetype icons are ugly
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:32:55 am »
After i switched to the C::B nightly snaps i've noticed they have a new set of resource icons.
I dislike them because they are:

- unsharp (blurred)
- to big font
- background to big in size (just the full 48x48 is used) and ugly

Now they overrule my explorer windows and i hate it.

Shure maybe others do like the icons, but not me and every time i edit the registry to point to my custom icons it gets overwritten.
So i've modified C::B to ignore all registry settings/checks to force my custom icons.

Here are some proposals:

1. Ignore the "DefaultIcon" registry settings and allow ico theming for the filetypes
2. Use cleaner icons (i've attached an example)
3. Have a contest

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:35:48 am by DJMaze »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: C::B nightly filetype icons are ugly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:23:37 am »
It's all well and good to say the icons are ugly (I wouldn't go that far, but they could use some improvement), and it's better to have made a start toward something better (as you have), but -- two things.

First, a good icon is a set of images, one for each supported icon size (for WinXP, that includes 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, and 64x64, if I recall correctly). So if you're going to propose a new set of icons, you've a ways to go.

Second, the current set of icons was created by thomas, I believe, so the best thing to do as well as the courteous thing to do would be to bring your suggestions to him first, and Yiannis (mandrav) as project lead if necessary.

Cheers,
JohnE
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

DJMaze

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 05:24:10 am »
i know about the sizes since i use Microangelo to design icons

XP: 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and 64x64 (includes mask)
WinX/2k: 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and 64x64 in 16, 256 and true color (true color is not default)

I can't find a place where 64x64 is used though, and the same for 16 colors (you don't use C::B in safemode anyway)

For now i have 32x32 and 48x48 in 256, true color and XP

penguino

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:59:46 am »
I prefer your .cpp icon over the existing - it is clearer and more recognizable.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:43:29 am »
Shure maybe others do like the icons, but not me and every time i edit the registry to point to my custom icons it gets overwritten.
Just a tip: If you don't configure Code::Blocks to set associations on every startup, this does not happen.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

DJMaze

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 01:59:27 pm »
Just a tip: If you don't configure Code::Blocks to set associations on every startup, this does not happen.
So i've modified C::B to ignore all registry settings/checks to force my custom icons.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:17 pm »
You don't need to modify the program. Just deselect the checkbox "Check associations at startup".
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

DJMaze

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 05:34:29 pm »
did that :wink: cos if i modified the source i would just have modified the resources and put my icons in the executable :P

DJMaze

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 06:33:23 pm »
Second, the current set of icons was created by thomas, I believe, so the best thing to do as well as the courteous thing to do would be to bring your suggestions to him first, and Yiannis (mandrav) as project lead if necessary.

Will PM Thomas now that i have a screenshot and will discuss it ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 06:47:31 pm »
Well, what do you expect me to say now?

DJMaze

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 07:09:58 pm »
Well, what do you expect me to say now?
You like them to implement in C::B or do you want to stick with the current set of icons?

If you want to stick with the current i will release it as icon pack.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 08:18:31 pm »
You like them to implement in C::B or do you want to stick with the current set of icons?
Well, if the dev team were unhappy with the current set, we would likely have changed it, wouldn't we? :)

Apart from that, even if we were desperately looking for a new icon set, there would be no base for a decision, because you did not include a 16x16 preview (which is among the most important things).

Producing icons (or images in general) has three major complications.

The first difficulty is to make small icons. Bluntly said, every monkey can make a 128x128 icon that looks cool. The really difficult thing is to make an icon which looks good at 16x16 (and no, you cannot just scale the existing 32x32 icon by 50%).

The second complication is that all graphics in one unit (i.e. in one program) should more or less look the same. A simiar style should be used for everything. This is harder to get right than one would think at first.
The drop shadow (you called it "blurred") and the big, plastic-like highlight are two elements that most images in Code::Blocks have as "common look".

The last problem is that what you like is not necessarily what others like, and what you think is not necessarily what others think. This makes it particularly hard.
When I make changes to any kind of artwork or UI design, I first state my idea to one or two fellow devs. If their reaction is not outright positive, I forget the idea at once. There is the Greek saying "a begging pussy is a sour shag", and it is so true. :)
Now, being sure that my idea is not unreasonable from the start, I work on a first version until I am 95% satisfied by the result. Usually, this takes a day or two and a few dozen revisions. I show it to one of the other devs, and if the reaction is positive, I produce the final image. After that, I build Code::Blocks with it and work with it for a couple of days to make sure the most annoying flaws are detected.
Once I am satisfied with that, it goes into SVN and I wait for input. Usually, someone provides positive feedback within less than a day. If the suggestions are feasonable and not prohibitive for some good reason, I make the changes accordingly (otherwise, I state why not). For example, the workspace icon was completely redesigned from scratch a couple of times that way. At some point, nobody complains any more, which suggests that for the time being, it can be left as it is.

takeshimiya

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:29:51 pm »
The last problem is that what you like is not necessarily what others like, and what you think is not necessarily what others think. This makes it particularly hard.

That is the true for everything. Couldn't agree more.

Making everything an user-choice yet not cluttering is always good.

Zlika

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:31:12 pm »
The current icons are not ugly at all, and I'm fond of most of the artwork made by Thomas. However, I think we could take into consideration the idea of icons submitted by DJMaze, because they seem very interesting.
Maybe there are still some problems to fixe (16x16 size...), but what about another "contest" like the one to choose the CB splash screen?

takeshimiya

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 08:54:37 pm »
but what about another "contest" like the one to choose the CB splash screen?

No, thanks.