Author Topic: Refuses to start under Windows XP SP3  (Read 4526 times)

Offline VCSMaster

• Single posting newcomer
Refuses to start under Windows XP SP3
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:34:15 am »
First off, I know this can't possibly be a programming / linker / module error on my part, since this is a completely fresh install, and I haven't even gotten so much as a splash screen yet.

I've re-downloaded and reinstalled both Code::Blocks and Visual C++ Redistributables about 4 times now, and I've ended up with this error upon startup:
codeblocks.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point kernal32.ReleaseSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll.

I've tried a couple other things, and even older versions of VC++ but nothing seems to get it further than this. I'm going to try an older version of Code::Blocks once it finishes, downloading. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any direct predecessor to 20.03 on Sourceforge. It jumps from 17.12 to 20.03!

If this is a compatibility issue, I think the developers may want to revise your download page, it still says Code::Blocks supports Windows XP SP3! If this is the case, any recommendations for a good IDE under XP? I don't want to have to dig out my Visual Studio 2005 disc.

UPDATE: 17.12 seems to work fine. Is there a place where I could get version 18 or 19 if 20 cannot be made to work on my machine? I'm fine running an older version if I have to.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:38:21 am by VCSMaster »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Refuses to start under Windows XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:09:37 am »
You can self-build from SVN repository.

Or try builds from http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 05:46:32 pm »
CodeBlocks releases are compiled with GCC so installing MSVC runtimes won't do anything ;). IIRC the problem is that the contained binary crashhandler DLLs are compiled against newer Windows API that isnt present in Windows XP and the solution is to replace just these DLLs with the ones from an older CodeBlocks release.

Can't remember the names but there is at least one thread about this here somewhere. And yes, 17.12 is the direct predecessor of 20.03 ;D

Offline VCSMaster

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 05:45:28 am »
CodeBlocks releases are compiled with GCC so installing MSVC runtimes won't do anything.
Initially after installing it reported that it couldn't find MSVC runtimes, and installing the runtime made that error go away to give me this current problem. Something must be using it, is it because I'm using the MinGW version with Fortran support?

IIRC the problem is that the contained binary crashhandler DLLs are compiled against newer Windows API that isnt present in Windows XP and the solution is to replace just these DLLs with the ones from an older CodeBlocks release.
Can't remember the names but there is at least one thread about this here somewhere.
So updating to 20.03 from 17.12 will keep these or do I need to selectively copy them?

And yes, 17.12 is the direct predecessor of 20.03 ;D
Mm, yes, good version numbering scheme. Counting as good as Gates himself.

You can self-build from SVN repository.

Or try builds from http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html
I'd really rather not build it myself. I can live with the old version if that needs to be the case. I'll try one of those builds shortly.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:01:55 am »
So updating to 20.03 from 17.12 will keep these or do I need to selectively copy them?

selectively copy them.

YY.MM is a common versioning method.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline VCSMaster

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:16:35 am »

selectively copy them.

YY.MM is a common versioning method.
Considering this project has a nightly build I would have expected a different version numbering system. Does that mean there are 31 different versions called "20.04"?

I think I'll stick with 17.12 in that case, unless there's some glaring flaw with using an old version like that.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 12:31:53 pm »
@stahta01: Night builds are only 64bits and probably suffer the same problem. Don't recommend them to people when they doesn't work.

@VCSMaster: You can make the new version work if you use some parts of the old version. See here for details: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,23770.msg162076.html
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:41:09 am »
CodeBlocks releases are compiled with GCC so installing MSVC runtimes won't do anything ;).
GCC-generated binaries are linked to msvcrt. There are misfits with default msvcrt on XP and contemporary gcc+Mingw-w64 libs. In general, these misfits might be avoided by forced link against unicrt (and by  installation of the unicrt on XP PC).