Author Topic: Incredibly simple question regarding auto-filling  (Read 2786 times)

Offline DougMasters

• Single posting newcomer
Incredibly simple question regarding auto-filling
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:52 am »
First let me please state what a wonderful thing code::blocks is. I am very grateful for it's open usage. My only regret is my inability to contribute to this wonderful gift.

My question regarding code::blocks is a settings question. Now, I looked through every menu I could and was unable to find what I was looking for.

I cannot stand when code::blocks auto fills things I type in the editor. In fact, I cannot stand code::blocks displaying anything whilst I am in the middle of typing. As 1 specific example whenever typing anything that requires a pairing to work code::blocks loves to add that pairing automatically. such as quotation marks or curly brackets.

I also cannot stand when it offers me suggestions of what I "may" be trying to type. As 1 example when I go to type #include, the second I type # a menu of selectable words pops up.

I dislike this feature in a global sense. My desire would be to have nothing, ever auto filled, corrected or otherwise suggested while I type. I want nothing to pop on the screen that I don't input.

This may be a nitpicky thing, and I am sure this feature is welcome and wonderful to most. Not to insult anyone who uses it, or it's creator. I happen to think it's quite thorough and I do see the wisdom in it's use.

But the feature as of now is not for me.

If anyone can tell me what this is called, and how I can turn it off, I will be very grateful. I am very new to programing and I am unsure what the feature is even called let alone am I able to find it to turn off.

Thank you very much for reading what I admit is a verbose post.

zabzonk

Re: Incredibly simple question regarding auto-filling
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:22 am »
Start by disabling the code-completion plugin in Plugins|Manage Plugins. Then go to Settings|Editor|General Settings, and uncheck things like Brace Completion and Autoindent.  I should point out that the features you will be disabling are one of the main reasons people use an IDE like Code::Blocks in the first place - perhaps you would be happier with a simple text editor?

Offline DougMasters

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Incredibly simple question regarding auto-filling
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
Thank you Mr. Neil.

No, I would not be happy with a simple text editor. Not that it isn't a good suggestion.

I am well familiar with other f-functions of code::blocks and would not like to be unfamiliar with different ones.

As well, I may very well want to turn that feature on later. At the moment I am taking specific direction from a book, and at other times direction from a specific person. I find these things get in the way when I am focusing on deliberate keystrokes.

I imagine at some point I will enjoy the fruits of that feature. I like knowing I can turn it on and off.