Author Topic: installed cb 21.11 but AVG detects it as a virus  (Read 16376 times)

Offline cbuser2

• Multiple posting newcomer
installed cb 21.11 but AVG detects it as a virus
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:06 am »
Installed "codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe" fine. But as soon as I ran CB, AVG pops up with the below screenshot. Whilst I was deciding what to do, AVG automatically deleted codeblocks.exe, rendering CB useless. So I uninstalled CB, then reinstalled. Then I ran CB again, and once again AVG flags it as a virus, but has an option to allow CB to run, and I choose this option (but I am somewhat nervous about this situation).

What should I do?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:51:43 am by cbuser2 »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: installed cb 21.11 but AVG detects it as a virus
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:09:13 pm »
As first you could have searched the forum, this was already asked.

Or upload it to virustotal.com and let it scan with more av-scanners.

If your system is not infected, it is a false positive.

Offline itsols

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:24 am »
I confirm this. It MUST be a virus.

I installed CB on 3 computers and about 3 others had also done it. Here's my feedback...

1. My PC that had Kaspersky, caught it during installation. It alerted that the virus needs to be removed and a restart was necessary. On continuing, it restarted, cleaned the virus (some worm - did not pay attention  - it was my daughters machine). But after that is was clean. So Kaspersky did a good job.

2. The other machine had Avast. It caught the virus during setup. Then cleaned it (actually removed the infected file). But installation could not proceed without it.

3. Another machine had ESET. But ESET did not catch it. It just installed.

4. As for the other 3, I don't know what AV software they use but they did nost report it.

So I don't think this is a 'false positive'. I'm kind of worried actually about my installation that went through. Even a full scan after installation did not show anything on ESET.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:37:14 am »
If you get C::B from other than the official servers we can not guarantee that it is virus-free.
But our official downloads are.
Check the suspicious files on virustotal.com and you will see.

There are some over-sensitive av-softwares outside, that make serious work hard on pc's with developping programs or even some administrative programs, that might do things normal users should not do.

I just talked to a system-administrator who has had much trouble with kaspersky that made teamviewer unable to install/work.
After many discussion with kaspersky guys and a (very late) update they have been able to make it work again.

1. {...] On continuing, it restarted, cleaned the virus (some worm - did not pay attention  - it was my daughters machine). But after that is was clean. So Kaspersky did a good job.
Useless information without being more specific.
2. The other machine had Avast. It caught the virus during setup. Then cleaned it (actually removed the infected file). But installation could not proceed without it.
So it most likely removed some important stuff and renders the installed program useless.
I would not say this is a success.
3. Another machine had ESET. But ESET did not catch it. It just installed.
Maybe there is really nothing to catch.
4. As for the other 3, I don't know what AV software they use but they did nost report it.

So I don't think this is a 'false positive'. I'm kind of worried actually about my installation that went through. Even a full scan after installation did not show anything on ESET.
If I understand correctly you have two positives and two or four negatives (eset and the other three).
So why do you think it's a virus ?
I have installed C::B on many systems and none of them has any viruses (as far as I know, you can never be absolutely sure).

It might probably be possible, that you have an infected installer, if you have used it on an infected system.

Online Commaster

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »
Could you try the codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup_user.exe installer? (Notice the "user" part in the name) The false positives may come from requesting admin rights...

Offline fred_76

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:12 am »
Hi!

I posted a way to use AVG with CodeBlocks. It is here :
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19491.0.html

Fred