Author Topic: Code Decoherence from Bad Line Spacing  (Read 10218 times)

Offline pieman

• Multiple posting newcomer
Code Decoherence from Bad Line Spacing
« on: November 04, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
The line spacing ratio seems to be 3/5. I carefully measured a 6px:10px ratio, 10px font. I'm using the "Courier New" font face. That means my 10px-tall lines are seperated by at least another 6px of white space. This makes code less coherent and harder to read. I think maybe a 2:5 ratio would be better for readability than 3:5. I noticed this when I wondered how Code::Blocks code texts' appearance seemed very annoying in comparison to other IDEs such as CodeLite (though has a much inferior options/project-configuration interface organization to Code::Blocks :P) or DevC++ -- which is very outdated and useless, although it does look very nice, classy and well organized (even better than Code::Blocks), but a ton of features are still lacking and it has other major problems -- even when the font settings seem exactly the same.

Also, on my desktop computer, everytime I startup Code::Blocks, it asks me to choose my default compiler regardless of whether I already chose it one-thousand-freaking times before! ... I guess I'll just try reinstalling it and see if that works. Else, I'll come back for another question and we can figure this issue out. :)

Thanks for your consideration,
- Pie Man
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:46:10 pm by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Code Decoherence from Bad Line Spacing
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:06:37 pm »
Version, OS?

What about showing some screenshots?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pieman

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
10.05, Windows 7.
I like pie.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:53:50 am »
Also, on my desktop computer, everytime I startup Code::Blocks, it asks me to choose my default compiler [...]
This should only happen on the first launch.  Does the default.conf file exist?  It should be located at %AppData%\OneOfTheFolders\CodeBlocks\default.conf (I cannot remember if the folder was Local or Roaming).

Offline pieman

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:53 am »
Oh, just a heads up.

I was able to manually repair my config file. :D
I like pie.

Offline pieman

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:50 am »
Hey, are you people ever going to bother with my suggestion here?
I like pie.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:57 am »
Would you bother to try the latest version and show a screen shot if the problem still exists there?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pieman

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:28:32 am »
If you really aren't sure, then I think it'd be a good idea to add a user option (vertical line spacing).

I will see if I have time tonight to jump back here after making sure C::B is up-to-date with a prepared image/screenshot to show. Cheers
I like pie.

Offline pieman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05:13 am »
< Image removed. See below. No point in sustaining it. >

Hoolaa goorbins! Wololololo!

Edit: I forgot to update before taking these pictures. Ooops. Darnit.

They were taken with Code::Blocks 12.11. Sorry. I think I'm going to update now :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:20:50 am by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline pieman

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:40:51 am »
The comment-style in Code::Blocks is italic; however, I've retested this, and it doesn't affect the vertical spacing in any way (at least for Courier New 8px). The screenshot is completely valid.

-----

I've updated after downloading from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/13.12/Windows/codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup.exe/download

-----

Now I've retested. Hurray! The spacing problem has been fixed. >.<

One reason I probably haven't updated yet, I guess, might be because I haven't even looked at the major version number, only the minor number (I thought it was +0.01)

I'm so embarassed. Sorry for the trouble. Also, I understand that's no reason to not update. :(

-----

No. The reason I haven't updated yet until today was I haven't had any reason to check until I last revisited these forums. 2013 was only release candidates. I guess I should try out the release candidates more often. ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:49:41 am by pieman »
I like pie.