Author Topic: IDE stuck on Maximized in WinXP  (Read 5358 times)

Offline ryyker

• Single posting newcomer
IDE stuck on Maximized in WinXP
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:17 am »
Hi,

I am a C::B newbie.  Just installed version 10.05 to do some c/c++ work and noticed the IDE started up and is stuck on maximized.  It will not let me set the window frame size.  It is either at maximized or on the task-bar.  Is this normal behavior?  If not, any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks,
Ryyker

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: IDE stuck on Maximized in WinXP
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »
What OS are you running?
What version of CB?

Stuck in maximized on any OS is not normal.

Try to toggle MainMenu->View->Fullscreen
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:30:55 pm by Pecan »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:23:51 pm »
If you start an app maximized, you can only resize it (by dragging the border) after clicking the maximize-button.

Offline ryyker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »
Thanks Pecan and Jens,

As the subject line implies, I am using WindowsXP (SP 3).  There are typically three buttons provided in a typical windows application in the upper right hand corner: minimize, normal/maximize toggle and close (see attached image ViewButtons).  C::B version 10.05 has all three.  However, in this OS the behavior of the normal/maximize button is not normal.  The application comes up maximized, (is not sizeable or moveable by mouse drags, or any other means).  Clicking this button while in maximize mode results in the C::B main panel collapsing into the task bar instead of assuming a normal view mode (sizeable and moveable) as it should.  While in the task bar, the only working option is to re-maximize the panel. (see attached image WhileMinimized)  Since posting this originally, I have tried the installation on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.  It works normally there, Just not on Windows XP, SP3. (have not tried it on SP2 or SP1)
Hope this clarifies.

Thanks, Ryyker

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
Hope this clarifies.
Could it be that you are using a config file from a C::B version that ran on either a two-monitor system or a large (wide-screen) system? If so, the application might be placed outside the visible region, hence this should actually be corrected.

This often happens to me under the following circumstances:
Assume I was running C::B on a PC with two monitors and place it on the secondary monitor. Then when I login on a PC with only one monitor via Remote Desktop to that remote-PC and I open C::B it opens on the second window again, non-visible to me now. Then I have exactly the issue you see. I can only "maximise" C::B to make it visible. "Restoring" the window places it on the secondary monitor on the remote PC which is not visible to me, but surely present.

[The explanation might be a bit confusing... I know...]
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »
Hope this clarifies.
Could it be that you are using a config file from a C::B version that ran on either a two-monitor system or a large (wide-screen) system? If so, the application might be placed outside the visible region, hence this should actually be corrected.

This often happens to me under the following circumstances:
Assume I was running C::B on a PC with two monitors and place it on the secondary monitor. Then when I login on a PC with only one monitor via Remote Desktop to that remote-PC and I open C::B it opens on the second window again, non-visible to me now. Then I have exactly the issue you see. I can only "maximise" C::B to make it visible. "Restoring" the window places it on the secondary monitor on the remote PC which is not visible to me, but surely present.

[The explanation might be a bit confusing... I know...]

The same thing happens to me at times. I usually work around it by right-clicking on the taskbar, selecting "Move" and then bringing the frame into view using the cursor keys.

HTH

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »
I seem to remember this used to happen to me also on WinXP.
I occasionally got TotalCommander (and others) stuck in maximized.

I'm not sure, but I think I used to right click on the start bar blank area and click on Cascade windows. Then used the menu>file>exit, not the [X] in the banner, to close the window. Then it behaved correctly.

Give that a try.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:40:11 pm by Pecan »

Offline ryyker

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »
Pecan,

Your suggestion worked!  Thank you. 

Ryyker

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:56 am »
I'm not sure, but I think I used to click on the start bar blank area and click on Cascade windows. Then used the menu>file>exit, not the [X] in the banner, to close the window. Then it behaved correctly.
Great hint! This also works nicely for my Remote Desktop sessions. 8)

...I never noticed anything else but the "task manager" and "properties" in that menu... must have been the first time the other menu items got clicked in my Windows live time... ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ