Author Topic: Splash Screen  (Read 28728 times)

Offline code robot

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Splash Screen
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »
Question is: Who would get the credits...?! :lol:

I assume you are joking, but I just want to reiterate that everyone is free to use anything I have submitted, that's what its there for, all open sourcey and what not. :) No credit needed, just keep making the sweet, sweet code blocks!

edit: Here is a large transparent render of the color-blocks image:
Please feel free to use it. :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:15:48 am by code robot »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »
Just for fun, I've quickly pasted code robot's modified cubes into this one. Only a very rough sketch, but seems to fit in very well, nevertheless.

Can we make the bottom right corner's colour to bright yellow just like what jgm's wife posted? That colour is very nice. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 05:51:58 pm »
Thomas' combined design looks really nice. In case the bottom right corner remains gray, could the letters at least get the white outline as in the other three designs?

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 06:31:47 pm »
Only a very rough sketch, but seems to fit in very well, nevertheless.
Indeed, funnily I had the same thoughts: The logo of code robot (as I like it very much, too) and the effects / colours here. Nice combination. Question is: Who would get the credits...?! :lol:

Anyways: Keep in mind there will be a poll where all users can vote.

--- JGM ---
Well if programmers merge their work and work together to make software why not applied it to on graphics design  :lol:  With Inkscape in the toolbox working together with graphics that are svn compatible (since svg is pure text) is really possible.  :D

-- JMG'S WIFE ---
Yeah, I agreed it's funny because I like the code robot logo (nice job!) also (I didn't know that the logo could be redesigned). I re-made the code robot logo concept on Inkscape for more flexibility. Here I'm going to post the changes. Font: Arial Black and Arial, and the last four has like 50% transparency (that's why looks opaque). In that way it would match user's background colors.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:38:23 pm by JGM »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 06:34:41 pm »
Thomas' combined design looks really nice. In case the bottom right corner remains gray, could the letters at least get the white outline as in the other three designs?

-- jgm ---

I don't know if making the white outline is possible or easy to generate on code, so we removed it. But in any case developers think it is possible let us know.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »
--- jgm's wife (ylm) ---

Here I go with more variations...

Hope you like it guys...

This is the svg file for all my splash screens: http://jegoyalu.net/cb/code-blocks-splash.svg

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 11:51:39 am »
Two little details that struck me:

Yes, I'm being pedantic again, my apologies :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »
Two little details that struck me:

Yes, I'm being pedantic again, my apologies :)

-- jgm's wife --
So the logo has to be resize too to match the C, right?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:31 pm »
Not necessarily, I guess it looks quite good if it is a little bigger. However, the baseline should be the same as the title's baseline, and the reflections should be the same size, otherwise it looks as if the logo is standing in front of the label, not in the same plane.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:56 am »
I disagree with the alignment suggestion.  I think having the verticle center of the icon centered with the verticle center of the 'C' like JGMs wife did looks great and is appealing, moreso to my taste than having them bottom aligned.

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 06:21:51 am »
-- jgm's wife (ylm) --

Here is the original and the changes that thomas suggested.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:53:24 am by JGM »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 10:35:36 am »
I disagree with the alignment suggestion.  I think having the verticle center of the icon centered with the verticle center of the 'C' like JGMs wife did looks great and is appealing, moreso to my taste than having them bottom aligned.
It has little to do with taste, but with the visual information that the image is bearing. If the icon is center aligned and has a smaller reflection, then the image tells you that the logo is closer than the text and that the "floor" is less glossy where the logo is standing. It also gives you a "something is wrong" impression, as a polished glass surface should not have different glossiness at different locations (not unless it is badly polished).
On the other hand, if the baselines are aligned and the reflection heights are the same size, the image bears the information "both elements are standing on a glass surface side by side" which is what the effect is supposed to mean.

Here is the original and the changes that thomas suggested.
Thank you, though I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I would make the block logo's reflection larger instead of making the text's reflection smaller.
The reflection size that you chose for the text intitally was very well chosen, it looked quite convincing. It only should be consistent everywhere as all elements are "standing on the same glass surface" (so, the logo should get somewhat more reflection, instead of the text getting less) :)

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 03:14:59 am »
Thank you, though I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I would make the block logo's reflection larger instead of making the text's reflection smaller.
The reflection size that you chose for the text intitally was very well chosen, it looked quite convincing. It only should be consistent everywhere as all elements are "standing on the same glass surface" (so, the logo should get somewhat more reflection, instead of the text getting less) :)

-- jgm's wife (YLM <-- my initials) --

Here are the changes:

Offline paul_s

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »
I decided this topic needs some programmer art. This isn't really worthy of becoming an actual asset but may inspire some artists out there (and yes, I registered to post this - I'm just a code::blocks user)

[attachment deleted by admin]