Author Topic: How to uninstall code::blocks in Linux  (Read 11267 times)

tristan_ph

How to uninstall code::blocks in Linux
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:39:26 pm »
hi, I have a noob question. I have recently compile and installed code::blocks in my Ubuntu (Linux). Now my question is, how do I remove them from the hardrive?

Thanks in advance.

Offline McZim

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: How to uninstall code::blocks in Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:24 am »
hi, if you install from package, do:

Code
sudo dpkg --remove package_name; sudo dpkg --purge package_name

if you install from source, do:

Code
cd /source/dir/c::b; make uninstall

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:12 pm »
Be sure not to follow the instructions in case apt-get comes up with "the following are no longer needed".

When it said that to me after uninstalling wxWidgets once, I said "Oh yeah right, whatever. Go ahead, you sure know what you don't need". So I typed in the command that apt-get had told me (something like "auto-remove"?) and hit "yes", without really reading.

So, it kept working for a whole long while, uninstalling each and everything that remotely had a dependency to something that had a dependency to a dependency with the letters 'w' and 'x' in it.
Seriously, I ended up with an installation that had no graphical user interface and no sudo any more.
The latter was particularly funny. Try and reinstall sudo if you need sudo to run apt-get :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:41:09 am »
lol that was funny! i remember those kind of thinks happened when i first started using linux  :D