Author Topic: Is codeblocks a c++ version of eclipse?  (Read 8748 times)

flyingxu

Is codeblocks a c++ version of eclipse?
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:28:40 am »
I always wonder is there a c++ version of eclipse, and I find codeblocks is very close to that, just according to my current understanding of codeblocks.
Am I right?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Is codeblocks a c++ version of eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:15:52 am »
Though I am biased ;-)

I didn't like Eclipse at all, it is very big, it is slow, things are so different then most IDE's. And most of all, for Eclipse C++ you even have to install more big things. No no, CB is small can do nearly as much (and maybe some things more), and is fast.

I would say, Eclipse is a failed CB written in java.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Is codeblocks a c++ version of eclipse?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:32:07 pm »
IMHO you compare apples with bulbs here.

The focus and idea of Eclipse is completely different from C::B. This not only means the "base" language (Java/C++) but also the whole concept. Eclipse is a rich client platform which allows you to use it to develop completely different applications based on the Eclipse RCP. These may not even be related to programming at all - there are a lot of examples like this around (and I am developing another one).

C::B is focussed on being an IDE for C++ developers. The C::B SDK (not a/several framework(s)) is meant to enhance C::B only. Only one functionality of Eclipse is being a Java/C++ IDE. You can only compare the C++ IDE version of Eclipse with C::B if you like (anything else is nonsense). And this is not as good as C::B in several tasks but has a lot more and nicer features in others.

Just try both and decide if you are unsure.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ