Author Topic: ERROR: Couldn't create the project directory  (Read 16898 times)

Offline skg

• Single posting newcomer
ERROR: Couldn't create the project directory
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:02:22 am »
I've built code::blocks from the nightly distribution, svn 5081. It seems to be functioning, except I cannot create a new project of any type.

Instead I get the message ERROR box: Couldn't create the project directory ....

I thought it was simply a matter of ownership or permission of the files, but I've check them and they appear OK to me, but I'm new to code::blocks.

The system is Ubuntu 7.10 on an AMD 64 dual core, etc.

I've searched everywhere I can think of without finding mention of this, so I'm assuming it's something dead obvious, but I just can't see the problem.

If more details would help, I can post more. But, my guess is it's something stupid and obvious.

BTW, I have been able to open existing projects just fine.

Any help very much appreciated.

cheers,
skg

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: ERROR: Couldn't create the project directory
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:11 am »
Are you able to create a directory from console or from filemanager in the same directory you try to create the project ?

Offline skg

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:15:32 pm »
No problem creating directories manually.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:22 pm »
Are you sure that no file exists in the directory you chose for your project, that has the same name than the project ?

If your project is named "foo" and should be created in "/home/bob/projects", C::B tries to create a directory "/home/bob/projects/foo" to place "foo.cbp" inside it.

If a file named "/home/bob/projects/foo" exists you get exactly the same error-message as if you don't have the permission to create the directory.

Offline skg

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:40:35 pm »
No. I've tried several different names and none work.

jlacroix

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 05:25:48 am »
Same problem here. One time (I forgot what I did) it complained about permissions but I even tried setting the permissions of the folder to allow everything.

I checked everything mentioned in this topic. I get the same error message (Couldn't create the project directory).

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:11:11 am »
Same problem here. One time (I forgot what I did) it complained about permissions but I even tried setting the permissions of the folder to allow everything.

I checked everything mentioned in this topic. I get the same error message (Couldn't create the project directory).

What does
Code
ls -ld </folder/to/create/project/in>
and 
Code
ls -l </folder/to/create/project/in>
say ?

Have you tried to create a project in your home-directory or in "/tmp" ?

Is your disk full ( "df" shows statistics about mounted volumes) ?

Offline xbitcarry

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:51:40 pm »
Just again talking about my personal experience:
 The first attemp to install code::blocks on Ubuntu, I download the files as wiki say, but, when I run codeblocks, and set the projectname, i receive the same message in /home/codes, I tried checking the permisions and everything you write up, and I can work when uses my personal directory to create the projects, I mean, the proyect directory that I use is /home/xbit/codes, that way I can work fine, so, try it. Good luck!