Author Topic: discovering CodeBlocks  (Read 3635 times)

Offline c.panel

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • TopoCad
discovering CodeBlocks
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »
I just discover CodeBlock and very interesting on it.

I don't believe that such a tool exists : to have the possibility of compiling a project with MSVC, MINGW or an other compilator is wonderful.

I had tested it with success compiling first a whole library with MSVC, MINGW and BC : the only difficulties resides in the compilators, and a little switching from a compilator to another.

Is there a graphic tool that can generate RC files for windows environment ?

Is there an option to see what commands are generated by codeblocks during the processes. (For instance, the whole compiler line with arguments should be appreciated) ?

thanks

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: discovering CodeBlocks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:13:26 pm »
Is there an option to see what commands are generated by codeblocks during the processes. (For instance, the whole compiler line with arguments should be appreciated) ?

You can switch "Settings -> Compiler and Debugger... -> Global Compiler Settings -> Other Settings (the rightmost tab) -> Compiler Logging" to "Full Commandline".
You have to do it for every compiler you use.

After that you can see all messages in the "Build Log".

Offline c.panel

• TopoCad
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:02 pm »
thanks a lot.

In the same window, I have read there's an option "Build Method" to build a project from a "makefile", but "Build method" seems not to be modified (gray) and stay "Invoke compiler directly". A trick ?

I'm looking for wxWidget wich seems to be pretty and universal for all OS (that's a winning card!) but had some applications built with an old Framework that I can compile with all compilators but specially for windows and I used RC files so I want to make my code safe if I use CodeBlocks.
I can use an independant tools for that but it would be much pretty if it exists an integreted graphic tool for building RC files in CodeBlocks. Is there ?

Relating to this, I ask the community for reliability of wxWindows (which is not unknown). Are the users pleased with it ?

Offline c.panel

• TopoCad
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:37 pm »
thanks a lot.

In the same window, I have read there's an option "Build Method" to build a project from a "makefile", but "Build method" seems not to be modified (gray) and stay "Invoke compiler directly". A trick ?

Sorry, if I had not found an answer in manuel, simply a request with "makefile" in this forum gives the solution
(Project|Properties the check "this is a custom makefile")

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:55:18 pm »
I can use an independant tools for that but it would be much pretty if it exists an integreted graphic tool for building RC files in CodeBlocks. Is there ?

Relating to this, I ask the community for reliability of wxWindows (which is not unknown). Are the users pleased with it ?

I don't recall Codeblocks having an RC editor. Perhaps you could try converting to the XRC format (see http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/XRC#Converting_Old_RC_and_WXR_Resource_Files_to_XRC )
and use the wxWidgets (that's the official names for wxWindows) xrc library.

Regarding wxWidgets,  it's VERY, VERY reliable - it's cross-platform, around 10 years old, under constant development, and Codeblocks was built with it. I really recommend it.