Author Topic: windows game programming  (Read 6273 times)

Offline gibxam

• Single posting newcomer
windows game programming
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:04 pm »
Hey everyone,

I've been working with code blocks for a little while and been trying to get my account registered and haven't been able to until today when i realized all the emails were being sent into the bulk folder  :? so here i am finally! Anyway, i have been working through C++ books and tutorials for the past three or so months and I really want to hop into something else to supplement my learning and just keep morale up ( damn those pointers and double pointers! ) is this a good idea? If so what i was thinking is maybe trying to work with windows game programming? Any other suggestions would be great. Either way does anyone know of some good places to start with windows game programming or any other fun ideas that you have. Any help would be great!
Thanks all,
-max

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
Re: windows game programming
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:07 pm »
about 5 years ago I would tell you to get either Ogre, CrystalSpace or a payware engine that's easier to use than the 2 freeware engines mentioned like 3impact.

However in todays vast assortment of open source freeware projects I would start with finding a freeware open source game and contribute till you get the hang of things and then start your own project.

This doesn't mean useing some guys horribly, mostly broken code either. quite a few mainstream off the shelf games are being released open source now days. Remember Duke Nukem 3D? Yep that's open sourced. Probably the best (perhaps most recent?) example is Warzone 2100.

but some games like the Unreal Tournament series, allows you to mod it while haveing direct access to the graphics engine itself.

The long short of it is don't start from scratch if you don't have too...

Offline gibxam

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »
thanks for the quick reply ouch, I think that duke nukem might be a little bit too complicated for me to work with. Is there any thing else you could suggest that would be a little bit more beginnerish  :D ?

Offline Maciek

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:17:38 am »
Try Allegro. It's 2D only, but I believe it to be a good thing if you are a beginner. Easy to understand, cross-platform, and has a very friendly community at http://allegro.cc

Offline Barking_Mad

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:17:30 am »
Hope your familiar with www.gamedev.net and http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Those are some essential free resources for any beginner :)
WooF! WooF! - Ubuntu 8.10 & CB 5432 & GCC 4.3.2
To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour - W.B

fatalbert

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:52 am »
This one is also pretty good for beginners:
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php