Author Topic: Configuration files  (Read 2891 times)

Offline paolo.bormida

• Single posting newcomer
Configuration files
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:08 pm »
Sorry to bother the forum with this issue, but I find it highly annoying.

After 08.2 release the wiki has been updated to specify how to run Code::Blocks in portable mode, but the entry specifies portability cannot be guaranteed for plugins where C::B is not the maintainer.

After having tried the instructions I have to admit C::B works fine from an usb key, but it always creates two files under %APPDATA%\codeblocks:

cbKeyBinder10.ini
  codesnippets.ini

Since those plugins are distributed with C::B I would expect them to behave properly and not being rogue with their configuration files.

I might disable them, but if I can do without Code Snippets, KeyBinder is essential to using C::B!

Why doesn't the Key Binder plugin behave more properly?

Paolo

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Configuration files
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »
If you copy the .ini files to your portable CodeBlocks directory just as you copied the .conf files, they'll work the same.

Offline paolo.bormida

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:42:40 pm »
It seems to work, by copying the ini files in the root C::B folder, but the codeblock folder under %APPDATA% is created empty as well...

Not so elegant but works.

Thanx

Paolo

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »
Since those plugins are distributed with C::B I would expect them to behave properly and not being rogue with their configuration files.
The core plugins (that are selected by default) just work as expected. If you select to install one of the contrib plugins that there is no guarantee anymore. We cannot do anything about it as contrib plugins are contributed (and surely welcome) but we cannot and will not modify them to follow another strategy the developer had in mind.

Anyways... All the contrib plugins I use just work as expected when following the portable rules for their config files. But that's just because their devs are smart so we all are lucky... so far. ;-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ