Author Topic: BuildMessages: error message to long to be viewed comfortably  (Read 7371 times)

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
hi everybody,

lately I'm using the STL often in my code, vectors, maps, and their iterators, even const_iterators. As I am rather a beginner I put in lots of errors and the compiler complains and it's output is so damn long due to those iterators  :) that it just does not fit in the available line in BuildMessages. Now comes the anoiing part: scrolling to the end of the line just to be able toread the whole text (often I found the real interesting clou way down the end of the error message) is really quite nerve treading. Other programms allow to drag the column separator just as far as one likes, way beyond the actual visible field of the pane, and at the same time scrolling automatically as you go.

Is it posible to implement this on the pane of BuildMessages?

Regards

nausea
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: BuildMessages: error message to long to be viewed comfortably
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »
Just double click the right-most column separator, so its size becomes that of the longest message.

If you want to make STL errors a bit more understandable, try STLFilt. There must be at least two threads in these forums about it. What I don't remember is if anyone actually explained how to set it up in an easy way to use it with Code::Blocks. The search option of the forums should be enough to find them.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:32 pm »
Just double click the right-most column separator, so its size becomes that of the longest message.

Note that this doesn't work on linux (well at least not in opensuse 10.3), anyone can confirm this doesn't work on linux ?
And secondly , what can we do about it : ideas ?

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:31:33 am »

wxGrid?  :roll:

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:45:22 am »
anyone can confirm this doesn't work on linux ?
I confirm on Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10.

Dje

Offline drac

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:09:09 pm »
What I don't remember is if anyone actually explained how to set it up in an easy way to use it with Code::Blocks. The search option of the forums should be enough to find them.

Here is a wiki page for STLFilt with C::B MinGW package.

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:32:41 pm »
Thanks for the quick help everybody,

for the moment i'm fine with the double-click (i'm working on windows right now), but i don't think that it is very intuitive neither, i bet there are many users out there, who just don't get how to do it ... I think dragging the separator and scrolling automatically would be the best, francly ... :?

and thanks for the STLfilt info, was'nt looking for anything like that, but now i will ...

regards

nausea
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:36:55 pm »

I'm not sure if the wxListCtrl is the one used, but I was reading wxDocumentation and found this:

wxListCtrl::SetColumnWidth

bool SetColumnWidth(int col, int width)

Sets the column width.
width can be a width in pixels or wxLIST_AUTOSIZE (-1) or wxLIST_AUTOSIZE_USEHEADER (-2). wxLIST_AUTOSIZE will resize the column to the length of its longest item. wxLIST_AUTOSIZE_USEHEADER will resize the column to the length of the header (Win32) or 80 pixels (other platforms).
In small or normal icon view, col must be -1, and the column width is set for all columns.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:38:34 pm by JGM »

Offline Calmarius

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:08:59 am »
I have a similar problem on Ubuntu linux too. But it is more annoying... If the error message is too long to view and I still can't view it by dragging the separator to the right side, I will unable to view the message because the message window is not scrollable horizontally because it truncates the end of the message with an ellipsis.

The only workaround is right click on it and select copy selection and copy it into gedit, which is quite annoying.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:29:08 pm »
Just for a reminder.

This is a bug in wxWidgets. see the post:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,10770.msg73846.html#msg73846
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »
Fix this problem by adding a patch. Please see this post:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,10770.msg73849.html#msg73849

I'd welcome any feedbacks. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.