Author Topic: C::B and WxWidget  (Read 3646 times)

Surlaw

C::B and WxWidget
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:33:38 pm »
Ok I'm new using C::B, and I'm trying to compile a new WxWidget project, the one the Wizzard create for you.

So I started with the RC2 and installed WxW 2.8.7.
I had some error with "setup.h" that I solved by copying the file from "wxWidgets-2.8.7\include\wx\msw" to "wxWidgets-2.8.7\include\".
After I had the error of lb.exe couldnt find libwxmsw26...
So I searched and found out I had to recompile WxW, I did it, and now I have the files but it's called "libwxmsw28u.a/wxmsw28u_gcc_custom.dll"...
Of course using the *28 files in the linker instead of the *26 that were demanded made a lot of error...
So I look around and get a newer version of C::B, the "CB_20080130_rev4853_win32"...
I start a new project and now it's asking for "libwxmsw28d" instead of the "libwxmsw28u" I have in my "wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\gcc_dll" folder...
And again changin the linker from "libwxmsw28d" to "libwxmsw28u" made a lot of weird errors in the compilation log.
I am on the edge of going crazy after 4 hours of looking around so please someone help me out, what vesrion of WxW works with what version of C::B ???
Thanks a thousand times in advance ;-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:35:37 pm by Surlaw »

Offline wobien

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: C::B and WxWidget
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:32:45 pm »
CB_20080130_rev4853_win32 is a recent Nightly build, and it should work fine with wxWidgets-2.8.7.
If you want to debug your wxWidgets projects, you must compile a release and a debug version of wxWidgets.
If you start a new project it is standard created with a default and a debug target, so it will ask for both versions.
So repeat building wxWidgets, this time with
BUILD=debug
instead of
BUILD=release

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:59:29 pm »
If you want to debug your wxWidgets projects, you must compile a release and a debug version of wxWidgets.
This is not quite correct. Rather, when using MinGW/GCC, you only need to compile a debug version of wxWidgets if you want to debug wxWidgets itself. Biplab has designed the modern wxWidgets wizard so that it works just fine linking your project's debug target with a release build of wxWidgets. (See the Advanced Options page.)

Surlaw:
By copying setup.h from its original location, you've inadvertently made your wxWidgets installation quite a bit more brittle. I would recommend undoing that change. If you're interested, the wxWindowsQuickRef should give you a good start with wxWidgets and C::B.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Surlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
First Thanks a lot to you wobien I did what you said and now I have the right library built, and the default WxW project is compiling fine and working ;-)

TDragon sorry I already done the method wobien told me before reading your post, but I'm interested in doing the best thing possible and understanding how it all works, so I'll try to make a clean install again. However I don't know how to solve the setup.h error without moving the file, a lot of forums told people to resolve it by doing so. Of course it doesn't mean it's the right way, I'll look around for another way! Thanks for your answer anyway =)

Edit: I just fully read your link TDragon and everything's clear for me now, I reinstalled and rebuilt everything properly, Thanks a lot ;-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:35:28 pm by Surlaw »