Author Topic: Squirrel lang  (Read 5027 times)

Last-Attacker

Squirrel lang
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:10:10 pm »
Hi there
I am sure someone else probably asked this but I just want to know...
Would there be a way, somewhere in the future, that Code Blocks might support development in the squirrel language.
I know that Code Blocks uses Squirrel for in-house scripting, but lets say I am writing a project that purely runs on squirrel or is embedded in a c++ project, would that maybe, be somewhere in the future development plans of code blocks?
It would be cool to have code completion and syntax colorization for squirrel somewhere.

Just curious.

Thanks

Regards,
LA

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Squirrel lang
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
Syntax styling is no problem, this is already supported. Code completion is unlikely to happen in the near future, as are all other things.

The build system is designed with compiler languages in mind, an interpreted language doesn't fit in well. What could be done is to run your scripts in something like the Code::Blocks script console, but then it would have the Code::Blocks bindings, not your application's bindings. So basically, since Squirrel's main feature is being an embedded language with native bindings (which you obviously want to use), there's not much Code::Blocks can do but simply launch your program as usual (and this incidentially runs Squirrel, without Code::Blocks knowing).

What could be done, however, is a remote debugger plugin for Squirrel. However, again, this is not going to happen in the near future, as it needs an entirely different approach from the present gdb-based one (and probably we'd have to run two debuggers in parallel, then...?).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Squirrel lang
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:09 pm »
Yes, this is in my personal todo list as something to explore in the future.
Unfortunately, not any time soon...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...