Author Topic: Strange cursor and window locked up  (Read 4046 times)

tgsauder

Strange cursor and window locked up
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:35:37 pm »
I have been using Code::Blocks on Linux for a few months, and recently I have been having a problem where suddenly the cursor changes to this thing that looks like two overlapping documents with one corner of a box around it to the top and left.  In the past, I was able to type Alt-F to open the file menu and it would go back to the regular cursor, but today I can do nothing to get control again.  A co-worker that is also using C::B said he has the same problem sometimes, but he can close C::B and lose his work when it happens.  I can't even do that.  The mouse moves around, but even when I move it out of the C::B window, it does not change, and nothing responds mouse clicks or to key presses on the keyboard.

It seems like this always happens when I am highlighting text, but I can't be entirely positive that is the case.  Anybody else see this or know what is going on.  How do I get out of this "mode"?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Strange cursor and window locked up
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:18:14 pm »
What you describe is most likely the drag-cursor.
It appears for example if you have some text highlighted , then left-click into it and move the mouse without releasing the mouse  button.
It also can happen, if you left-click into a picture and move the mouse.

Normally the cursor goes away, when you release the mouse-button or you press ESC.

Perhaps the switch under your mouse-buttons doesn't work correctly.
Have you ever tried another mouse ?

tgsauder

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »
Yes, it is the drag-cursor.  The difference is that when I actually do a drag (I just tried it), the text cursor (vertical line) follows the mouse cursor around.  When the problem I described happens, it does not.  Also, as you said, the drag and drop is cancelled when you hit the ESC key, but when the problem described occurs, it does not.  So, I am pretty sure the problem is not with the mouse. 

It is annoying because this last time, I had to end up restarting my computer to get it to clear.  I couldn't even get to a terminal window to kill the process.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:46:53 pm »
Have you tried to reach your linux-box via ssh ?
Which distribution is installed and which version ?

tgsauder

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:29:22 pm »
No, I didn't think of that.  :(
Good idea.  If it happens again, I will do that.  That will keep me having to reboot anyway.

I am using Fedora Core 6.  (Kernel 2.6.22.9-61).

The version of Code::Blocks is 'svn build rev 4413'

I just now installed the codeblocks-contrib package, and it has an auto-save, so at least if this happens again, hopefully it will still do the auto-save, and I won't lose my work.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 02:25:57 am »
IIRC, this was a wxWidgets 2.6 series bug that is gone in 2.8; have you checked your wx version?
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)