Author Topic: Tooltips when mousing over code? Please help!  (Read 3068 times)

sasukex

Tooltips when mousing over code? Please help!
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:31 am »
Hi, I just installed Code::Blocks on my Windows XP machine. I'm used to using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and normally when you mouse over bits of code in that, it'll give you information about the code, like in these pictures:

(note: Printscreen doesn't capture my mouse cursor so you can't see it in the screenshots. It is over the function names.)

Does anyone know how to enable this feature in Code::Blocks, or if there is some plugin which does something similar?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
Re: Tooltips when mousing over code? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:12:26 am »
Move the cursor adjacent to the function name and press Ctrl-Shift-Space. A hint would pop-up. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline galenchang

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:22:27 am »
I have also been finding such tool for a long time, but I think no such plugins yet. Collecting the infomation is not hard, but updating it synchronously is challenging. Even in MS vc 2005, this function is not perfect yet: I've found program crash due to this.

sasukex

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:50:39 am »
Move the cursor adjacent to the function name and press Ctrl-Shift-Space. A hint would pop-up. :)

Ctrl-Shift-Space didn't do anything when I tried it.

However, when I tried Ctrl-Space I ended up with a popup like this:

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. However, it's kind of cumbersome because in order to get the information I have to perform three consecutive operations:

1. I have to click on the function.
2. I have to press Ctrl-Space to make the box appear.
3. I have to click off the box to get rid of it.

It would be far easier and more time-efficient for an information tooltip to appear when I mouse over the function, rather than having to go through all that hassle.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks.