Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 3981 times)

csscplayer

Is this possible?
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:22:36 pm »
I want to start by saying I am not the most computer savvy person.

I want to organize my files into their own folders and to be able to call them from those folders. For example, I have a projects folder and within that folder I would have a source code folder. Is there a way to have C::B recognize what I am doing? This is just to avoid having all the files put into one folder. Some other examples of folders would be Executable file folders, or a folder for all of my layouts.

If someone could direct me very specifically on how to do this, I would be much abliged. If anything is unclear, please specify and I will try to clarify my intentions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:00:21 pm by csscplayer »

Offline Auria

• Almost regular
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:04:56 pm »
I want to organize my files into their own folders and to be able to call them from those folders. For example, I have a projects folder and within that folder I would have a source code folder. Is there a way to have C::B recognize what I am doing? This is just to avoid having all the files put into one folder. Some other examples of folders would be Executable file folders, or a folder for all of my layouts.

but isn't that what it does by default?

csscplayer

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:13:32 pm »
Not on my computer at least. When I installed C::B it made one folder, which I named C++ Programs. And all of my projects/source codes/layouts and everything is put in there. Also in that same folder is another folder for object files. That was done automatically. Did I install wrong? Or is it supposed to be like that and you can't change it?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:15:04 pm »
I think you are using a wizard. The wizard has a standard layout which puts the source files next to the project file.
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

csscplayer

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:28:28 pm »
Can I change the wizard in anyway? I would really like to organize all the files that are created when I start projects.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:50:13 pm »
Here's a workaround:

1. Start the wizard
2. save project
3. Remove all files
4. move them around to the directories of your preference
5. Add them to the project again, and fix any directory inconsistencies in your source code (i.e. #include's )

Voila! :)

csscplayer

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:03 pm »
I don't mean to be difficult, but what is a wizard and how do I start it? And how would the "#include" that I use in my programs be effected by changing things around within my documents and settings folder? Thanks for helping me out here guys!! I appreciate it a lot.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:56 pm »
the wizards are the little popup windows that appear whenever you click on "New Project" and guide you to the process of making it.

The includes are affected if you change directories. I'm assumming that you also create header files, right? Well, if they're in not the same directory than your cpp files, you won't be able to find them.