Author Topic: [Possible bugs] Adding files to project  (Read 6045 times)

bupper

[Possible bugs] Adding files to project
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:04 pm »
Ok, this is rather complicated, so I am describing it as in-depth as I can... I think there are some problems with adding files to projects.

1. To reproduce this, first add files from a different directory than where the project resides (example file path: ../directory/file.rc). They will get added to Resources/directory. In the following, I am adding files from the same directory as the project (example file path: file.rc):

- a. When I add one file (lets say a .rc file) to Project, it adds to the proper folder (in this case Resources).
 - b. When I add two resource files to Project, it adds them to: Resources/[Project folder] (the folder where the project resides. Remember, the resource files are in this folder too).
 - c. When I remove one of those files, the other file moves to Resources, and the virtual folder [Project folder] is removed because it's empty. This also happens if I remove the files from the other virtual folder, "directory" (see "To reproduce" above).

I don't understand why they are added to [Project folder] in the first place!

2. When I add files, and choose not to add them to any targets (in the "Multiple selection" dialog that pops up), they don't get added at all!
3. When I add multiple files, the "Multiple selection" dialog doesn't say which file I'm setting compile targets for. And if I select something, and click OK, it gets done for all the files I'm adding! Whereas (see 2 above) when I don't select anything, I get to choose for each file. Either way though, it doesn't tell me which file I'm selecting for.

Just check them out for yourself. I'm not completely sure all of those are bugs, maybe you designed it that way.  :?

I'm using: C::B 3788 (the current build), WinXP, MinGW

bupper

bupper

Re: [Possible bugs] Adding files to project
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:31:55 am »
I guess nobody is interested. Did I post in the wrong forum? or is nobody interested in fixing bugs?! Am I not supposed to talk about bugs on the forums, or what are these forums for?

bupper

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:36:07 pm »
I guess nobody is interested. Did I post in the wrong forum? or is nobody interested in fixing bugs?! Am I not supposed to talk about bugs on the forums, or what are these forums for?

No, exactly Not. May be people didn't read your post. It's OK if you discuss possible bugs here. We all want to improve it and your discussion and observation will certainly help us improving that.

I've tested this bug and it exists. I would request you to file a bug-report at Berlios. :)

I've also prepared a fix. But I'm not applying it immediately as I need to test it for side-effects, too (I've already found one). :)

Image Descriptions:
1. Tree state when you add one file from a different folder.
2. Tree state when you add two more files from project folder.
3. Tree state when you remove a file from project folder.

I think it is the way the tree state should be.

Regards,

Biplab
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:41:44 pm by Biplab »
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

bupper

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:41:56 pm »
Thanks for responding. That would be great. :)  I submitted the bug to Berlios.

What do you say about #2 and #3 though? To fix those, I would suggest another button in the "Multiple selection" dialog box, named something like "Apply to all", when adding multiple files. Also, it should say which file you're selecting compile targets for.

bupper

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »
I've also prepared a fix. But I'm not applying it immediately as I need to test it for side-effects, too (I've already found one). :)

I've fixed this side-effect. Still I would hold this to ensure that it's not screwing up other parts. :)

BTW, Regarding #2, I don't think you can do that. Basically that box pops-up when you want to add files to projects. If you don't check any targets, then C::B won't add it. Currently adding files with empty target are not supported and you may expect this in future.

Regarding#3, that's the purpose of multiple selection dialog box. Isn't it? It's for multiple file addition with same settings applied to all. If you need different settings for different files, you need to set them manually.

Regards,

Biplab
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:07:13 pm by Biplab »
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

bupper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:16:26 am »
Ok, sounds great :)

BTW, Regarding #2, I don't think you can do that. Basically that box pops-up when you want to add files to projects. If you don't check any targets, then C::B won't add it. Currently adding files with empty target are not supported and you may expect this in future.

That will be very useful to me. Thanks for working on it  :D

bupper