Author Topic: I doesn't manage in using auto-completion fine  (Read 5683 times)

Offline pivit80

• Multiple posting newcomer
I doesn't manage in using auto-completion fine
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:42:04 am »
Hi,
I've a problem with autocompletion.

Beside all, I want to know if I had to create a new project in order to use autocompletion, or if I can use autocompletion also with a single c++ file.

Then, an example:

suppose I've this simple code:

Code
#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>
#include <math.h>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
cout<<"Hello world!"<<endl;
cout<<"Press a key to continue...";
getch();
return 0;
}

this is the main file of a codeblocks project.

in this code if I begin to write getch() nothing compare, even though I press ctrl+space;
the same if I begin to write any math.h function.

I've noticed if I go to project->properties->search directories and add the include dir of mingw installation, code completion works.

But, in this way for every project I create, I must manually add the mingw include directory.
This is normal if I want to incluide a my own library I want to use;
but not if I want to use the standard c++ library.

So I think I've missed something.
What's the correct way to proceed?

Thank you in advance.
pv

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: I doesn't manage in using auto-completion fine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:54:11 pm »
Beside all, I want to know if I had to create a new project in order to use autocompletion, or if I can use autocompletion also with a single c++ file.
I always disable the Code Completion plugin, so I don't know whether it would work without a project open or not. I expect not.

I've noticed if I go to project->properties->search directories and add the include dir of mingw installation, code completion works.
There is a similar place to enter search directories globally, in Settings->Compiler and debugger->Global compiler settings->Search directories
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline pivit80

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »
Quote from: TDragon
There is a similar place to enter search directories globally, in Settings->Compiler and debugger->Global compiler settings->Search directories

Yes, I've placed directories in it, but it doesn't work anyway with single files.
Instead, If I create project, it doesn't use these directories, and I must add it manually to project->build option->search directories panel.

Why?
Is there anyone use auto-completion in codeblocks, and it works fine?

Thank you again.

pv
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:07:57 pm by pivit80 »

Offline pivit80

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:24:30 am »
Noone does use it?
Repeat, is there anyone use auto-completion in codeblocks, and it works fine?

Thank you in advance.
pv

Offline Yuki

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:48:19 pm »
Noone does use it?
Repeat, is there anyone use auto-completion in codeblocks, and it works fine?

Thank you in advance.
pv

I have used the auto-completion in C::B, And I think that it is
far from perfect . I also have used the VC plug-in Visual Assist X which comes from Whole Tomato Software (http://www.wholetomato.com/). It's an excellent code-completion plug-in. if the auto-completion in C::B works as well as VAX.It will be very good for our C::B users.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:56:14 pm by Yuki »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »
I also have used the VC plug-in Visual Assist X which comes from Whole Tomato Software (http://www.wholetomato.com/).

This piece of tomato is very expensive. ;)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:10 am »
I use code-completion. Honestly it's far from perfect (not even mentioning Visual Assist X which even use some kind of intelligent hints or at least it looked like that when I was testing it few years ago). But for most of my work it helped much. I could even say that it doubled my speed of writing code, it could be better but even now it saves a lot of time. Sometimes it looks like it's not working at all, but usually you just need to wait few seconds before C::B will parse files, create proper structures and maybe some other stuff.

Ok, but another thing which has to be said is that C::B's code completion will never be as good as Visual Assist X or simillar project (or at least in near future). Why? Because such commercial tools are developped by much more people than even in our group (and we're working on many features, not only code-completion), they're paid for their work so they can focus on it much better than we, and they're working for much longer time, they can be better organised... and much more.

So we can only request for a bit of patience and maybe your help with this project ;) Currently many other things require fixing and they must have higher priority because they may causing some troubles when you're working on C::B and it require some time to fix them, as usual.

Regards
  BYO

devilsclaw

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:29:18 am »
Currently im documenting the code and also working on updating some logic in the code as i go.

i found some errors in the most basic functions and then the usage of the functions must of been based of pervious versions in some cases.

im going to start editing and releasing updates to it with out the svn until i consider the updates im doing to it better then what it currently is.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 09:54:06 am »
Currently im documenting the code and also working on updating some logic in the code as i go.

i found some errors in the most basic functions and then the usage of the functions must of been based of pervious versions in some cases.

im going to start editing and releasing updates to it with out the svn until i consider the updates im doing to it better then what it currently is.

:D Great news. Looking forward to see code-completion without all those bugs