Author Topic: Modified & Improved wxWidgets Project Wizard  (Read 225931 times)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
Re: Modified & Improved wxWidgets Project Wizard
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2007, 03:10:10 am »
Wizard does not support wx libraries compiled in Windows with ./configure script as the naming convention is totally different.

Use makefiles in Windows to compile libraries with GCC. Wizard supports that. :)

Regards,

Biplab
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:11:46 am by Biplab »
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

ascxaxsvcbsxbbqvcxqsbcvxs

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2007, 11:06:41 am »
with the last nightly build on XP

1) With the wizard i created a project. The automatically generated files appears in the "Management" CB windows.
2) i re-run the wizard to re-create the project with the same parameters. It ask if i want to overwrite => Yes
3) then a dialogbox says that one file has been changed outside the IDE. "Do you want to reload it" => Yes for each

4) Result: in the "Management" windows, the files *.h and *.cpp appear two times each, even if they can only be opened once each.

5) I re-run a third time the wizard with same parameters: the files appear 3 times each, and so on.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »
with the last nightly build on XP

1) With the wizard i created a project. The automatically generated files appears in the "Management" CB windows.
2) i re-run the wizard to re-create the project with the same parameters. It ask if i want to overwrite => Yes
3) then a dialogbox says that one file has been changed outside the IDE. "Do you want to reload it" => Yes for each

4) Result: in the "Management" windows, the files *.h and *.cpp appear two times each, even if they can only be opened once each.

5) I re-run a third time the wizard with same parameters: the files appear 3 times each, and so on.

Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Truly speaking it's not wizard's fault. C::B is failing to check whether the file exists or not. I'll look into this.

Temporary Fix:
* Close the existing project before creating the same project with same name again.
Or
* Use a different project name. ;)

Regards,

Biplab

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2007, 01:55:01 pm »
The Bug has been fixed. Patch submitted. Will be updated soon.  :)

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2007, 02:10:53 pm »
The Bug has been fixed. Patch submitted. Will be updated soon.  :)
Thank you  :D

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:40 pm »
* Use a different project name. ;)

in that case no, i don't want the project anymore, i actually want to overwrite it.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2007, 02:18:10 pm »
The patch will allow overwriting of files. But it won't add the files again and again. :)

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2007, 04:13:23 pm »
Another point, which is not really a bug, just not logical:
After choosing the version of wxWidgets you want/have, you choose the directory only 3 panels afterwards  :shock: As the version and the directory of wxWidgets are closely-related informations, they should be chosen either in the same panel, or in two consecutive panels.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2007, 04:23:29 pm »
Another point, which is not really a bug, just not logical:
After choosing the version of wxWidgets you want/have, you choose the directory only 3 panels afterwards  :shock: As the version and the directory of wxWidgets are closely-related informations, they should be chosen either in the same panel, or in two consecutive panels.

Thanks for the feedback.  :)

The Version selection page and Path selection pages are created using C::B's internal wizard system and they comes in different pages. So there is no way to merge them unless I write the code for some other stuffs. ;)

But surely I'll look into this aspect. :)

I was trying to save the different wx directories in configuration file. But somehow left that.

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2007, 04:34:03 pm »
is it possible for 2 consecutive pages?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2007, 04:42:57 pm »
is it possible for 2 consecutive pages?

Yes! It's possible and it' very easy to do. :)

But I'll discuss with Other C::B devs before I commit any changes as it involves a reorientation. So you may have to wait.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:45:23 pm by Biplab »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2007, 09:25:58 am »
Latest Changes:
  • Added support for wxWidgets 2.9.x (CVS Branch). This is for the users who want to use latest wx CVS branch code.
  • Added PCH support for GCC in Linux. This was missing since I started work on it. But I didn't notice that missing feature.
Committed in Revision 3593.  :)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2007, 09:15:06 pm »
I finally figured out what was confusing me so much about this new wizard.
It was creating a __wxdebug__ type project when I thought it meant it was creating a CB debug project. Those are way too different things:

To get a widgets CB debug target, I have to change all the compile names, all the linker names, all the resource names and remove the __wxdebug__.

To get what is usually thought of as a CB debug project(which is what the overwheming majority of users will want), we'll have to tell the user to create a Release target and set it by hand to produce a debug project.

Not a good thing to have to tell anyone. It's going to cause a huge amount of confused traffic on this forum. I know right now that not too many people can be generating debug targets with this wizard, because I know that can't have debug versions of wxWidgets sitting around.

I suggest that you add a line in widgets library setting like:

wxWidgets is built in debug mode.

If checked, then generate the __wxdebug_ and append the 'd' to the file names.

If not, generate a "debug" target just like a "release" target but with the -g option and the warnings flags set.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:22:38 pm by Pecan »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2007, 06:11:47 am »
"wxWidgets is built in debug mode" option was removed and now the debug target is linked against debug version of wx libs and release versions are linked against release lib of wx.

I've added this page sometimes back to allow developers more fine control over the way a project is generated. If you check the last option Set Target Types (For Advanced Users Only) in wx lib configuration page (the last screenshot in your post) you'll be presented with the following window.

What I propose is to add one more option (One checkbox) saying Use Debugging wx Libraries for Both Targets in this page for Advanced Users. If you check it, it'll add debug wx libs to both targets.

IMHO, putting these advanced options in a separate page would be less confusing for newbies.  :)

Is it OK? But I'll make necessary changes tomorrow only as I'm quite busy with my studies today. :D

Regards,

Biplab

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2007, 02:44:50 pm »

What I propose is to add one more option (One checkbox) saying Use Debugging wx Libraries for Both Targets in this page for Advanced Users. If you check it, it'll add debug wx libs to both targets.

IMHO, putting these advanced options in a separate page would be less confusing for newbies.  :)

Is it OK?

Yes, thank you.
Just please make sure that __wxdebug__ is never set unless the user explicitly clicks on it.

As an example, I've been debugging CB for almost a year and a half now, and I've only needed __wxdebug__ once. It's very *seldom* used.

I suspect that it's only been used once this year, probably by the likes of Tim S.  :D :D