Author Topic: SVN 2835: Missing subdirectory "resources" under "src/plugins/contrib/cb_koders"  (Read 15064 times)

vesselin_peev

Under GNU/Linux, the missing directory causes bootstrapping to fail and the configure script not to be created (not tested under Windows). By creating the subdirectory manually, the problem goes away. There may be also other problems caused by the inexistence of the directory.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:38:26 pm by vesselin_peev »

vesselin_peev

It turns out that there should probably be a makefile and some files in this "resources" subdirectory, because making of the entire CodeBlocks fails with:

make[5]: Entering directory `/home/test/codeblocks_build/trunk/src/plugins/contrib/cb_koders/resources'
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

vesselin_peev

This problem is still present in 2836. Can someone at least confirm it?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
You should be patient my friend. It's only ~4 hours since your first post. You know, we 're not all day in front of our computer screen ;).
Plus, you 're talking about HEAD. Its state is not guaranteed to work at all times. It usually is fine but there are cases (like this) where it might not be in a "buildable" state. In such cases, show some patience...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
You should be patient my friend. It's only ~4 hours since your first post. You know, we 're not all day in front of our computer screen ;).
Right - I or myself have a family to take care of from time to time... ;-)
Anyway - I'm working on it by now, give me some more minutes...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

vesselin_peev

Dear Mandrav and MortenMacFly:

I'm sorry that I wrote my second post so it could be interpreted as impatient. I should have written it otherwise. I am completely aware of the possible brittleness of the HEAD branch, and didn't want to come off as impatient at all -- in all honesty! I can assure you that the only thing that made me write the second post was not my expectation that the core project developers should fix any problem at my command, but rather that because this is a forum with significant and constant visitorship, some kind regular user would confirm the problem AND that *perhaps*, only *perhaps*, the problem would get fixed. I was even thinking I'm making you a favour because when problems are reported and acknowledged early, they are usually easily fixed. I am sorry for the misunderstanding caused -- again I say I should have stated things otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 07:42:09 pm by vesselin_peev »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
No worries mate :)
Be patient!

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
No worries mate :)
Right! As long as you see a ;-) instead of :? or even :evil: everything is :D. (:lol: :mrgreen:)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

vesselin_peev

Yes, I saw the ;) but I still had to apologise and straighten out the misunderstanding I've caused.

CodeBlocks is open source -- no one can demand that you fix problems and improve things, unless not fixing and improving is dangerous to others -- but I don't think the IDE has the potential to be dangerous in this shape and form, except to some "honest" software companies producing IDEs as well :).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:40:39 pm by vesselin_peev »

vesselin_peev

I see you've fixed the problem. There was still a problem that kodersdialog.cpp wouldn't compile. I found that the line
Code
#include "sdk.h"
should be added at the top (that's the best header to include so precompiled headers work correctly, I think). Please review and commit.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I found that the line
Code
#include "sdk.h"
should be added at the top [...]
Thanks for this information. Anway: Adding sdk.h at this point is not a good solution. The kodersdialog has nothing to do with the C::B SDK. I know why this works (the sdk.h file simply includes a bunch of wxWidgets headers) but again: This is not a good solution. I can find out why on monday (then I have access to a linux machine again) so it will have to wait for now (it and compiles nicely on windows so far...).
With best regards, Morten.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The fact we put the include sdk.h there, is to support precompiled headers.
You could also directly use the wx precompiled header for this. Note that the sdk.h has a bigger list then the native wx one. :evil:

As it is again now, sureley the including of wx/string.h is missing !!
It might come in through the including of wx/wxprec.h in the kodersdialog.h

As for as I have been told, you should NOT include thoe precomiled driven headers in a header file

So
1) the including of wx/wxprec.h needs to be removed from the header
  I don't know it that was generated by wxSmith or not, if it is we should talk to byo. He's already aware of the not needed header includings generated in the dialog header, and told m that would be fixed in the new wxSmith. Therefor I would suggest @Morton, you put back back the forward declarations and the includes in the cpp file (see point 3), so that when the switch no new wxSmith will be made, that the code is already ok, and we just need to move the wxSmith block (from .h to .cpp)
2) wx/string.h include should be added (I will do that again)
3) Choose if you want to work with precompiled headers or not :
if not then it should be like this :
Code
#include <wx/button.h>
#include <wx/choice.h>
#include <wx/intl.h>
#include <wx/settings.h>
#include <wx/sizer.h>
#include <wx/stattext.h>
#include <wx/string.h>
#include <wx/textctrl.h>

#include "kodersdialog.h"
if yes, then it should be like this :
Code
#include "sdk.h"
#ifndef CB_PRECOMP
#include <wx/button.h>
#include <wx/choice.h>
#include <wx/intl.h>
#include <wx/settings.h>
#include <wx/sizer.h>
#include <wx/stattext.h>
#include <wx/string.h>
#include <wx/textctrl.h>
#endif

Note that the result of including a precompiled header in the case when no precompiled directive is given to the project(compiler) is(should be) a no-op. So you include just nothing. So in this case, who will bring in wx/string.h. We might be lucky someone else included it, but that's no guarantee.

@Morton,
I will add the include wx/string.h . I leave the rest up to you, it's your call to either support or not support precompiled headers.

PS : will finish up my header including topic this weekend ;-)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:50:28 am by killerbot »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I see you've fixed the problem. There was still a problem that kodersdialog.cpp wouldn't compile. I found that the line
Code
#include "sdk.h"
should be added at the top (that's the best header to include so precompiled headers work correctly, I think). Please review and commit.

could you try again with the latest revision, and tell me what the compiler gives as error output ?

vesselin_peev

Here it is (SVN 2839):

In file included from kodersdialog.cpp:3:
kodersdialog.h:20: error: expected class-name before '{' token
kodersdialog.h:23: error: expected `)' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:45: error: `wxCommandEvent' has not been declared
kodersdialog.h:45: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `event' with no type
kodersdialog.h:49: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxBoxSizer' with no type
kodersdialog.h:49: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:50: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxBoxSizer' with no type
kodersdialog.h:50: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:51: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxStaticText' with notype
kodersdialog.h:51: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:52: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxBoxSizer' with no type
kodersdialog.h:52: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:53: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxTextCtrl' with no type
kodersdialog.h:53: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:54: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxButton' with no type
kodersdialog.h:54: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:55: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxBoxSizer' with no type
kodersdialog.h:55: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:56: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxStaticText' with notype
kodersdialog.h:56: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:57: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxChoice' with no type
kodersdialog.h:57: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:58: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `wxChoice' with no type
kodersdialog.h:58: error: expected `;' before '*' token
kodersdialog.h:64: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE' with no type
kodersdialog.h:64: error: expected `;' before '}' token
kodersdialog.h:64: error: expected `;' before '}' token
kodersdialog.cpp:5: error: `wxDialog' has not been declared
kodersdialog.cpp:7: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversionbefore "EVT_BUTTON"
kodersdialog.cpp:7: error: expected `,' or `;' before "EVT_BUTTON"
kodersdialog.cpp: In member function `wxString KodersDialog::GetSearch() const':
kodersdialog.cpp:107: error: `_' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp:107: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
kodersdialog.cpp:109: error: `txtSearch' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp: In member function `wxString KodersDialog::GetLanguage() const':
kodersdialog.cpp:117: error: `_' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp:119: error: `choLanguages' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp: In member function `wxString KodersDialog::GetLicense() const':
kodersdialog.cpp:127: error: `_' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp:129: error: `choLicenses' undeclared (first use this function)
kodersdialog.cpp: At global scope:
kodersdialog.cpp:135: error: variable or field `OnBtnSearchClick' declared void
kodersdialog.cpp:135: error: `int KodersDialog::OnBtnSearchClick' is not a static member of `class KodersDialog'
kodersdialog.cpp:135: error: `wxCommandEvent' was not declared in this scope
kodersdialog.cpp:135: error: `event' was not declared in this scope
kodersdialog.cpp:136: error: expected `,' or `;' before '{' token
make[4]: *** [kodersdialog.lo] Error 1

It's clear that the #include <wx/wxprec.h> does not bring in any of the headers including the wxBoxSizer, wxStaticText, etc, because WX_PRECOMP is not defined when compiling kodersdialog.cpp. Rather than putting the define in the makefile (you will want to do that certainly, if you want to use wxWidgets' own precompilation logic), for the test only I put #define WX_PRECOMP before the former line, and indeed, things build fine then.

I think that if you want the best flexibility things should be made to work fine in the 3 scenarios: when WX_PRECOMP and CB_PRECOMP is defined, when only one of them is defined, and when neither is defined. This is the ideal aim, right?

Also, may I ask what is the reason you support no precompilation and hassle with it? Codeblocks isn't to be build with an old compiler of the 3.x series (and probably cannot be?)? Borland, Microsoft and modern GCC compilers all support precompilation. Or is it because of better debuggability of the build process?

As Killerbot says and from what I know and how I use precompiler headers in my own projects, indeed only C/C++ source files should include headers driving precompilation (at the top), not regular header files.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:08:09 pm by vesselin_peev »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
could you try again, the ifndef CB_PRECOMP should not be around the include section in the header of kodersdialog.h (in the case like it is now and we put those includes in the header) -> rev 2840

We do offer pch, but this new plug-in does not (correctly) at the moment (as described above).
With and without pch is offered, even if your compiler offers pch, it's nice to be able not to use it. yeah yeah, i am not a pch fan ;-)

vesselin_peev

Yes, it works this way -- I understand they are headers managed by wxSmith, namely:

Code
//(*Headers(KodersDialog)
#include <wx/button.h>
#include <wx/choice.h>
#include <wx/dialog.h>
#include <wx/intl.h>
#include <wx/settings.h>
#include <wx/sizer.h>
#include <wx/stattext.h>
#include <wx/textctrl.h>
//*)

and unless there are bugs in wxSmith, they should be all the headers needed for compiling the source file correctly.

As a start, #include <wx/wxprec.h> should be removed from kodersdialog.h. The headers managed by wxSmith should remain there, rather than be moved to kodersdialog.cpp, because first, they do not have to do with precompilation, and second, if kodersdialog.h is used by any other compilation unit, the other compilation unit will not need to include the same headers, avoiding duplication of #include statements.

Of course, their inclusion to be avoided when CB_PRECOMP is defined, the #ifndef CB_PRECOMP block should be put again around those headers. Actually, rather than doing just that, how about the following, to be flexible. Here's how I'd make the beginning of kodersdialog.h (please read the inline comments, too):

Code
#ifndef KODERSDIALOG_H
#define KODERSDIALOG_H

#if !defined(CB_PRECOMP) && !defined(WX_PRECOMP)
//(*Headers(KodersDialog)
#include <wx/button.h>
#include <wx/choice.h>
#include <wx/dialog.h>
#include <wx/intl.h>
#include <wx/settings.h>
#include <wx/sizer.h>
#include <wx/stattext.h>
#include <wx/textctrl.h>
//*)
#elif !defined(CB_PRECOMP) && defined(WX_PRECOMP)
// Define any WxWidgets headers not included by <wx/wx.h>
// but which may be needed by the current file.
// (When WX_PRECOMP is defined, <wx/wxprec.h>,
// which itself includes <wx/wx.h>, may not include all those.
// When CB_PRECOMP is defined, no inclusion should be made
// because the assumption is that the precompiled header used
// in this case includes all such necessities.
//
// For the current revision (SVN 2840) of
// kodersdialog.cpp and kodersdialog.h,
// nothing should be put here, because
// #include <wx/wxprec.h> would include
// all necessities
// (if WX_PRECOMP is defined, of course).
#endif

and kodersdialog.cpp:

Code
#ifdef CB_PRECOMP
#include "sdk.h"
#elif WX_PRECOMP
#include <wx/wxprec.h>
#endif

#ifdef __BORLANDC__
    #pragma hdrstop
#endif

If you will note in the last quote, when both CB_PRECOMP and WX_PRECOMP are defined, the CB_PRECOMP conditional block is processed only. As far as I know, we cannot have 2 precompiled headers used by a single file, hence the need for conditional compilation when we want to switch between 2.

@MortenMacFly, now I have come to understand the reason why kodersdialog.cpp is not related to the SDK, but, as far as I can see, there is not a different precompiled header from sdk.h used by CodeBlocks (with the exception of wx/wxprec.h but that includes only WxWidgets stuff).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:50:28 am by vesselin_peev »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The headers managed by wxSmith should remain there, rather than be moved to kodersdialog.cpp, because first, they do not have to do with precompilation, and second, if kodersdialog.h is used by any other compilation unit, the other compilation unit will not need to include the same headers, avoiding duplication of #include statements.

Not true : have a look at the "C++ coding standards" book from Sutter/Alexandrescu or in other books of Sutter or Meyers, you always want to minimize dependencies.
Example : Morton initially used a wxCombobox, so the Koderdialog.hpp was including that header. Now when wx changes something to that header every client of our header dialog needs to rebuild. What do the clients care about how our dialog was implemented. If the include was just in the cpp file, our file needs to rebuild (since some part of it's implementation changed, or something he depends upon) and the kodersdialog do not need to rebuild.
It is already bad enough that C++ doesn't seperate interface from implementation (when I changed from combobox to a wChoice to avoid a wx bug on linux) the client needed to recompile, and once again they should not, but here's it's the fault of C++.

Look at the PUBLIC interface of the kodersdialog, this is the only part a client will use, there's no sign in there of buttons, choices, text ctrl's or whatever. So avoid 'leaking' that to the outside. And with pointers and references together with forward declarations you can achieve that.

Look at STL for example they provide a special header for that iosfwd, so no need to include in headers the iostream ...

Now let's be silly, and assume there would be some quirky method in the interface that would need let's say a button, a choice, ... And I said quirky, so passing by value (bye bye performance) ;-)
Then your argument says, well I don't need to include anything anymore : not good and dangerous.
1) not good :
  maybe I just needed that function with the button and I don't call the choice one --> I do not need that include from choice, no sir, I just asked for a button, no extra choice's or me.

2 dangerous :
 - the button and choice were included by the kodersdialog. In "MY" file wich included that kodersdialog, I myself also use a button (just imagine it's some sort of interesting structure or class, let's forget about the gui aspect), BUT I forgot to add the include for the button, I compile. Everything compiles nicely, no not thanks to me, thanks to that kodersdialog !!!
NOTE : I do not call that button method, or switching back to the original case, nothing in the public interface related to buttons.
Nice new version of the kodersdialog (hint : no more buttons in there -> so no include of it in the header), I surely want that. I compile -> error button not known. Why why why, I used to work before, ok time to spend some prescious time to find out, who in the past gave me that include of button --> nice headers traversals to find out. Forget about, correct solution : I include it myself.
Does this sound stupid, maybe, but it's a fact of life, it has happend/happens to all of us. Those gurus I mentioned above, they were willing to spend time, effort and book space to it because it matters.

The client should always include what he needs.

This should be the way :
Code
#include <wx/button.h>

Button MyButton;
// do something with that button
KodersDialog MyDialog;
MyDialog.MethodUsingAButtonByValue(MyButton);

And if I would use that choice function also, well I include the stuff needed to be able to use that function.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:48:07 am by killerbot »

takeshimiya

It is already bad enough that C++ doesn't seperate interface from implementation (when I changed from combobox to a wChoice to avoid a wx bug on linux) the client needed to recompile, and once again they should not, but here's it's the fault of C++.
And that's when the pImpl idiom comes in handy, right? :):

Normally one would write:
Code: cpp
// file x.h
class X {
       // public and protected members
     private:
       // private members; whenever these change, all client code must be recompiled
};

Using the pImpl paradigm we can write instead:
Code: cpp
// file x.h
class X {
// public and protected members
private:
    class XImpl* pImpl; // a pointer to a forward-declared class
};

// file x.cpp
struct XImpl
{
// private members; fully hidden, can be changed at will without recompiling clients
};

There are relatively minor costs involved in performance, so it shouldn't be used without care (there are techniques to almost remove those costs too).

OMGUI, a GUI toolkit in development, relies heavily on this idea and just uses pImpls everywhere, therefore having two big advantages: improve compile speeds (removement of a lot of headers you would normally use for private members), and an ABI and API a lot more stable, perhaps even compatible between major versions (since implementations are way more prone to change than interfaces).

Only time will tell how much performance costs in real-world usage for an entire toolkit being based on this.

But so far, for some critical parts where API/ABI stability and less compile time is desired, like the case of Code::Blocks SDK (cbEditorInternalData* anyone? :P), this proves to be a really helpful paradigm.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
We 're already using PIMPL in some places, thanks for the info...
Be patient!

takeshimiya

We 're already using PIMPL in some places, thanks for the info...
Yup, just adding a bit more of info to the Lieven's informative post.
But so far, for some critical parts where API/ABI stability and less compile time is desired, like the case of Code::Blocks SDK (cbEditorInternalData* anyone? :P), this proves to be a really helpful paradigm.
:)

Do you think a full conversion of the SDK to the pImpl idiom is desirable? (not much interested about compile speed, but binary compatibility)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
You know the answer, Takeshi. :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

You know the answer, Takeshi. :)
Ups, forgot to explicit "desirable/realistic before/at 1.0 or RC3". :P

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
jips, the pimpl idiom is a very good way to go. In c++ you can have two ways : handle classes (or envelope classes) and body classes (letter classes). One just need to find a good balance when to apply ;-)