Author Topic: Unset global variable not shown in "Global Variable Editor"  (Read 3776 times)

Offline iw2nhl

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • BASIC, C, C++, Qt, bash
Like the title says, if a global variable has not been set when prompted, it is not possible to set it manually because the "Global Variable Editor" seems to not show undefined variables.

Is this a bug or this is "by design"?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Unset global variable not shown in "Global Variable Editor"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23:47 am »
Press the "New" button. This lets you set any variable you want.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline iw2nhl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:29:43 am »
I don't want to set a new variable, I want to set the required ones!

When you open a project that requires global variables, it asks you to define them. If you do not define them, you cannot do that later from the Editor because they are not shown.
Should I remember the name? I think they should be shown!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:17:13 am »
I don't want to set a new variable, I want to set the required ones!
Then do that. This certainly works.

If you do not define them, you cannot do that later from the Editor because they are not shown.
You can add any variable later by pressing the "New" button, including the ones you were asked for earlier. If you ignore the IDE's requests to define some variable, then it will not be shown in the dialog later. In that case, you will indeed have to remember its name.

In case you cannot remember the variables that you chose not to define earlier, you will be prompted again once for every undefined variable when you try to build a project that uses them (or when opening the project again).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline iw2nhl

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:46:03 am »
In case you cannot remember the variables that you chose not to define earlier, you will be prompted again once for every undefined variable when you try to build a project that uses them (or when opening the project again).
I know this (this is what I did), but it would be nice to see that variables in the variable editor.

Another thing: when there is a missing variable, a message pop-ups from the bottom (systray?), but, except for the first time, it is not readable because the graphics is completely messed up!
[Windows 2000 SP4]