Author Topic: wxWidgets 2.4.2 (MSW, GCC) installation instructions  (Read 20379 times)

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
wxWidgets 2.4.2 (MSW, GCC) installation instructions
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 10:14:49 pm »
I have managed to compile and run C::B, by setting the path   , I have written the steps in one of the post below

http://www.codeblocks.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=362&start=15

I do not modify the wiki because after compilation , it needs some tweak to make the CB run . I am not sure whether is because my steps is not totally correct .

Hope it helps.

CarlYoung

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 09:58:16 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
Quote from: mispunt
Two things:
Thirst, I can't reach the wiki page via the menu (it is edit only)
Secons, where do I have to set ${WX_VER}? It should be set somewhere, but I don't know where.

You can set it under menu "Project" > build option > Custom variable

add in a variable WX_VER and value 242

I added in when I encounter a failure compiling one of the plugin yesterday. Today , re download from CVS, the project files already added in this variable.

I downloaded the source today (to add OpenWatcom support), and I had the same problem with WX_VER. I thought it was trying to get it from the environment, but I see it wasn't...

I also had build errors trying to locate ..\..\..\MingW\include as a relative path in the src project (compiler options...directories...resource compiler) as I obviously installed my C::B one level deeper than the original developer.

I'm now up and running and have a debuggable C::B (after downloading zip.exe from info-zip  :oops: ).

Nice product! Regards,

Carl

CarlYoung

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 10:24:48 pm »
Quote from: CarlYoung

I downloaded the source today (to add OpenWatcom support), and I had the same problem with WX_VER. I thought it was trying to get it from the environment, but I see it wasn't...

Sorry, it appears I was wrong. I did have the updated Makefile with WX_VER=242 in it but I was still getting errors related to "can't find libwxmsw$(WX_VER).a".

I'm wondering if this was related to my source code being one layer lower in a folder hierarchy than the original. I moved to /dev/codeblocks and it all worked first build...

Carl

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 11:02:33 pm »
I downloaded the source today (to add OpenWatcom support)

I just did :D
I will commit the changes later, after I run some tests.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 04:34:43 pm »
Yup, I finally managed to build CVS version of C::B (hoooray! :)) under Windows.

First of all, big thanks for this Wiki article - it was extremely helpful resource I would surely perish without. :mrgreen:

Then, still I encountered 2 little problems, that are not mentioned in the Wiki. Maybe this can somehow help other people.

1) WX_VER problem. It is described in this very thread, but still seems to exist in CVS version. I don't know where WX_VER variable is set (I haven't found it under Build options->Custom variables), but it seems that $(WX_VER) produces 2.4.2 (2.6.1 respectively) instead of 242 (261), so I got:

Quote from: fearsome linker
Linking dynamic library: devel\codeblocks.dll
E:\progs\dev\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lwxmsw2.4.2
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

wxWidgets 2.4.2 compilation (if followed as described in Wiki) produces: libwxmsw242.a

2) Hmmm. Somehow I was aware to run update.bat in order to create zipped resource files and put them into right places, but it would be nice to mention this, too. :)
However, it was not the problem that I encountered.
You might find this funny, but... it took me quite a moment to set up zip command that is compatible with update script! (that uses -j switch). Maybe it was just my almighty luck (tm) that I used bunch of wrong command-line zip tools (even gzip shipped with extra.zip package didn't make it), but in case someone also have trouble with this - one of these tools should help. This one worked fine for me - just unpack somewhere, and point to its zip.exe in C::B  update.bat script (i.e set ZIPCMD=c:\zip\zip.exe).

Again, thanks for great IDE. :)

Btw. I found out that compiler option "Stop compiling after first error"  always seem to produce error (I use MinGW)
cc1plus.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wfatal-errors"
this space is for rent

CrayzeeIvan

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2005, 07:58:50 pm »
You can set the WX_VER variable in the "Build options", in the "Custom variables" tab. Just add a variable name WX_VER and set its value to 242 -> you're done. My problem with it was a little different though, the error was it couldn't find the library "wxmsw$(WX_VER)", so the var wasn't defined at all...
So I second your request, this should be documented somewhere, took me some time to find it out :)
The zip problem also applied with me, but I just searched my HD for "zip.exe" and was lucky enough to find one that worked -- dunno where though :P

CrayzeeIvan

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2005, 08:08:17 pm »
Okay, I added a page to the "Tipps 'n Tricks" section of the wiki, to be found here: http://codeblocks.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Setting_the_WX_VER_variable