Author Topic: CodeBlocks SVN good looking but it blows more than ever...  (Read 3995 times)

Offline roshi

• Multiple posting newcomer
Well I have to say that code blocks is looking more and more like a professional tool. The svn version has some prety useful and advanced tools.
Like the diassembly, cpu registers, slightly better whatch window (I still preffer the VC window)

Feature and looks wise, it's becoming a grat app, but it blows... and I mean it bloooowwws. (my system gentoo gcc 4.1 and 3.3.6)

For example when removing a breakpoint while debugging the program crashes saying nothing...
The windows don't resize right, the editor windowwhen resized, due to the presence of other windows on screen, it stays the same size part of it visible and part hidden.

(uncool if you want too scroll down :p) Actually the window resizes but only the part that has the tabs, the tab content with the scrolling bar doesn't... Probably the message not beeing forward to the sub components... like in the Compositor pattern from the GoF :)

Also in both a PIV1.5GHz and PIII800MHz the scrooling is sluggish and this is something that I can't understand why... It's starting to feal like the java environment :p hehe

Another one is the breakpoints... (this one has been hunting CB since it's beginnings) when I have a file that is (4ex) in the parent dir of my project dir, the breakpoint is simply ignored, with a warning 'No line 31 in file "../captures_example.cpp"' coff coff

what can I say....
I don't know If I should ask for help or just wait a bit for the errors to go away. Maybe I should help.... I could help minning the code with asserts everywhere.... I think that there's a bit of safe programming missing here :D

But anyway it looks cool petty that it doesn't run that cool... :(

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: CodeBlocks SVN good looking but it blows more than ever...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:56:40 pm »
Hello,

I used to build C::B on Gentoo 2006.0 and I did not remark any crash. I used wxGTK from Gentoo and GCC 3.4.6.

What could help is the C::B revision number you are using and a more or less (better more) detailed procedure on how reproduce the crash(es) and other problems.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline roshi

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 06:57:19 pm »
Ok here it goes.
My exact steps were,
get the CB from svn (this was about sometime last week I think)

Version 1.0 revision 2626 (2006-06-27 18:11:39) gcc 3.3.6 Linux/unicode

create an empty project (remo the main.cpp from the project files)
In the project dir do a "mv main.cpp ../hello.cpp".
Add the hello.cpp to the project.

Now, set a breakpoint anywhere in the file a try to debug it... I get "No source file named ../hello.cpp."

Ok lets go to another one.
Remove the breakpoints.
Create a new project or move the file back into the project dir (so that you can set a BP)
Set a BP and debug the file again. (rebuild the project if you only moved the file)
dam I got the same msg... :p (No source file named /home/pfs/tmp/hello/main.cpp.)
(this was probably correcte by now... since it's easy to detect)
Ok I wasn't able to set a bp in a source file I created, but I was able to place a bp in a included file... :D
After setting that bp just run your program up to it, when it stops just click on the bp to togle on/off (in my case cb just crashes and nothing is known about what happened)... coff coff it's a nice way to close it but it makes it impossible to work with it... :(

Also
- the overlaping of the edit window by the messages window is really anoying..
- (at startup) the tips window doesn't apear centered because it's center is calculated from the starting CB window, wich is then maximized automaticaly. (this doesn't happens the first time you run cb, only the next times and probably after changing the default layout)

I have to try the RC2 :( not that I feel like it, I like the new thingies

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 07:18:22 pm »
Thanks for the details roshi, but a bit less irony wouldn't hurt you know  :| , especially to people doing this for free...

Patches welcome.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline roshi

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 11:17:56 am »
Yap You're right. I'm sorry. I hope It's not too late to be sorry. :( But you know, CB is the only IDE that I actually use, and it's has been really usefull to me. I was just a bit frustrated because I had some work that I was trying to do and I was having a hard time at doing it...
But the truth is that if I could at least give a hand at it than just complaining..
I'm sorry again.
I'll try to help a bit if I can. :)