Author Topic: Upgrading the nightly?  (Read 5684 times)

mroek

Upgrading the nightly?
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:12:30 am »
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but anyway:

What do you guys do when you want to upgrade to a newer nightly? Do you just unpack the new nightly over the previous one, or do you put it in a separate folder? What happens to the settings? AFAIK, the settings are stored elsewhere (Application Data/codeblocks), but what if the new nightly implements a new or changes a existing setting? Will it just silently upgrade the settings file, and thereby breaking compatibilty with the previous nightly, which in turn renders it meaningless to keep more than one nightly?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Upgrading the nightly?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:32:59 pm »
I move the old nightly to a directory old, and unpack the new nightly to the default folder...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:34:53 pm »
you can overwrite one nightly with another (just don't mix with RC2).
you can also put it in a new dir, because the settings are
 a) in the profile folder
 b) registry

Only part b) is a bit annoying if you put it in another dir (not 100% sure anymore) since the codeblocks.exe in your old dir is registered for the CB files (.cpp, . cbp, ...) and not your new one. So either it is done by CB at start=uo (see env settings).
Because of this it is most easiest to install in the same directory (well you can empty the directory first).

When a new seting is created, or some setting changes meaning, or sometimes thourhg an update in the code, it might be needed from time to time to erase some part from default.conf or erase it completely. But this happens only occasionaly.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:41:09 pm »
(already answered)
Unpacking one nightly build over another (unlike unpacking a nightly build over RC2!) should work safely, although it is of course always safer to first delete everything or use a separate folder.

Settings, as you said, are stored in your application data folder, so you don't need to worry about that.
99.9% of the time, settings will either be backwards-compatible, or will use different keys, so they do not interfere with older keys. We try to always keep everything as compatible as possible.
As a consequence, it may happen that your configuration carries along a few kilobytes of payload after a few weeks, but that should usually not be a massive problem. Losing configuration is the worse alternative.
It is not necessary to delete parts of the configuration file. Don't even think about such things, you risk to break something, and the possible gains are neglegible. Your PC won't care about +/- 20 kilobytes, and the performance overhead is barely measurable.

But of course, having said "99.9%", there are no guarantees on anything. Remember we're talking about a development version, so we make no claims about consistency between versions.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

mroek

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:37:41 pm »
Ok, thanks a lot for your elaborate answers. I will just keep using the same folder for new nightlies, but I will empty it first, just for good measure...  :-)

Drugwash

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:48:48 am »
Hello everybody.
Sorry for barging it, but I thought I'd better use an existing thread than opening a new one, on a possibly already known issue. I tried the board search on related subjects, but I could find none. I apologyze if my searching skills were not good enough.

As reported in bug #7570, I'm running Win98SE (with some system file upgrades) and upon installing and trying to compile a project in v1.0 RC2, I suddenly got Chinese characters in the build log. After I saw that tampering with the program's settings could not get to a positive result, I tried to install the latest (22 may) nightly (in a separate folder). Upon starting it, I got a 'missing file' dialog, regarding wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll (apparently unicode version). The ANSI version of that file was in that folder, I downloaded and installed it manually, as instructed in the nightly announcement post.

Now my question is: are the nightlies Unicode only, or have I done something wrong? More important: is there a way to get any of the builds -either RC2 or nightly- to work correctly on a 9x system? And please, don't ask why I'm still using that or ask me to upgrade - this is not an option.

Here's what's all about. Thank you for any reply.

[EDIT]
OK, I poked around a bit and noticed the 14 May build that was supposed to be ANSI, but in fact it's Unicode too. So I realized the current builds are Unicode only. The above question stays, though: what should a 9x user do to get it working (at least to fix the wrong characters display)?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:29:27 am by Drugwash »

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 02:28:48 am »
Try this instead.

Drugwash

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:34:03 pm »
Thank you, but still no luck. Code::Blocks, Code::Blocks Debug and Build log are still in Chinese, and even the 'Tip of the day' is in Chinese.
I tried with:
- Internationalization ON, System default
- Internationalization ON, Available languages
- Internalization OFF
I always restarted the application after changing settings, as instructed. There was no difference at all.
The only log that appears in English is the Build messages log. I don't know about the Search and Debugger log, I didn't get any text in there yet.

I have some upgraded system files on my system so it may be that the application wrongfully detects Win98SE as another OS and unlocks Unicode display in some sections. Or maybe the system default codepage is not correctly read. Again - as specified in the bug report - my system is standard English with Romanian regional settings.

I'll be waiting for other suggestions. Thank you for your help so far.

sethjackson

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 12:03:59 am »
Odd.... Maybe a developer knows more?