Author Topic: general installation manual?  (Read 3172 times)

Maddin

general installation manual?
« on: April 15, 2006, 03:50:03 pm »
Hello,

I'm always trying hardly to do everything under Linux because I'm searching all the time for an alternative to Windows but I'm tired now trying to install C::B under Fedora Core 5. Is there anyone hwo has written an general installation manual for C::B? An old Windows brainfucked man like me can't handle it without guidance.

please help me someone!

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
Re: general installation manual?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:47:37 pm »
Do you want to install RC2 or a nightly build ?

If RC2, I think there's no package available at the moment. But I could compile one.

If you want to install a nightly build then do these steps:
1. download the package "CB_20060414_rev2352_fc4.rpm" from http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=2886.0 and remember where you downloaded it to (easiest way is to put it in /home/$YOUR_USERNAME/)
2. open xterm, gnome-terminal or Konsole (one of the terminals)
3. go into the directory you stored the just downloaded package with
Code
cd /home/$YOUR_USERNAME/
4. become root. type in "su", press enter and you have to type in the root password (during typing no * or any other character will appear!)
5. first you have to install the dependencies of the package with
Code
yum install -y wxGTK gnome-icon-theme
Now it can take a little, because yum calculates the dependencies, downloads and installs the needed packages.
6. now you can install codeblocks
Code
rpm -Uvh CB_20060414_rev2352_fc4.rpm
After "Updating MIME database in /usr/share/mime" appeared, codeblocks is installed. :-)
You can close the terminal now.
Codeblocks will be under the category Development->IDE in the menu of kde/gnome. Perhaps you have to relogin before the menu is reloaded.

Daniel

EDIT: changed the install part, because yum doesn't want to install the codeblocks package (package is unsigned)
EDIT2: The Fedora Core 4 packages doesn't run on Core 5 (strange, I tested it few weeks ago and it worked). I always get the error "XRC resource 'MemoryDumpPanel' (class 'wxPanel') not found!". I'm installing FC5 at the moment (have only FC4 installed, but upgraded all dependencies of codeblocks to FC5). Will do few tests tomorrow (in 10 hours)
EDIT3: the rebuilt package works without any error on both Fedora Core 4 and 5 . You can download it under the link from above.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 12:25:06 pm by daniel2000 »
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: general installation manual?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:58:03 pm »
Source installation manual for FC5:

Code
yum -y install subversion
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/codeblocks/trunk
yum -y install wxGTK wxGTK-devel automake ; \
cd trunk && ./bootstrap ; ./configure ; make ; make install

codeblocks
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."