Author Topic: Idea: separating GUI and build system  (Read 3391 times)

Offline rathapolk

• Multiple posting newcomer
Idea: separating GUI and build system
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:45:27 pm »
This idea has come in my mind when I noticed that codeblocks can build its project files by a command line 'codeblocks --build'. What will happen if the GUI part and the build part are not in the same executable file? What if we have codeblocks.exe for the GUI and cb-build.exe(for example) for the build system part? The build system part is a console program outputing to stdout and stderr. The GUI part calls the build system part when the user invokes the Build menu item. To do this, the project has to be saved every time before build.

The advantage is that, in linux, we can execute 'cb-build --build ' when we want codeblocks to build a project file in console. We can also execute 'codeblocks --build' if we want the output to be displayed in GUI.

Ok this is just an idea. I didnt mean this is a good idea. It may have many drawbacks which I dont know. If you think this is a bad idea, just forget about it.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Idea: separating GUI and build system
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:16:53 pm »
Ok this is just an idea. I didnt mean this is a good idea. It may have many drawbacks which I dont know. If you think this is a bad idea, just forget about it.

Good idea? Yes.
Feasible? No. Not in the current state. Maybe in a later version (5.0+ :lol:).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline rathapolk

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Idea: separating GUI and build system
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 08:30:23 pm »

Good idea? Yes.
Feasible? No. Not in the current state. Maybe in a later version (5.0+ :lol:).

Nice to hear that. :D