Author Topic: wxFlatNotebook  (Read 9021 times)

Olorin

wxFlatNotebook
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:52:31 am »
Hi everybody,
I'm using the latest SVN C::B. I enjoyed the switch to wxFlatNotebook, but there are some little things that I don't like about it. I could make some patches, but it turns out that i would change the bigger part of it. So I would like to post a new wxSomethingNotebook that preserves current features, reduce (hopefully) resource usage and kill some minor bugs. I'm customizing my own version anyway, but I've not so much free time to spend on it :(. I could then mantain that part of code, obviously. API wouldn't change very much... I suppose just some functions(==ctors?)/constants will be renamed.

So, some questions:
1) Any interest in this?
2) Any deadline for it?
3) Would there be any issue with licenses? I saw that wxWindows license is a LGPL with some modifications, my guess (and please note that I'n not skilled at all in licenses) is that I can freely modify that code and release it under the same license, but I'm not so sure... Should I contact the original author, for example? I saw it was done for the inclusion of wxFNB in C::B...
4) Any suggestions?

Looking forward to some feedback!

PS: I'm not against wxFlatNotebook in itself... it's a nice library and really teached me some more wxWindows.

takeshimiya

Re: wxFlatNotebook
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 12:05:47 pm »
Sure, go for it. You will not have any license problems.

Just a wish, if you can, make a runtime option so you can change the tabs rendering from native (like wxNotebook), flat (like wxFlatNotebook), and your own (wxYourOwnNotebook).
Personally, I like native rendering the most (and with a button for close tabs). Just like Firefox. It integrates better with the windows/gtk theme.

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 12:17:12 pm »
I really think that you should contact the author, to make the changes in the original code so that every one can use your modifications (unless you think that they are not for generic usage). If you patch the cb impementation of the notebook then if a new version is out you'll have to maintain it again. I believe the author was/is active in the forum
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 12:17:27 pm »
You might want to ask eranif whether he is interested in a helping hand in his project.
Ask him to make a branch which he can merge later, when it's working reliably.

That way, you work under revision control all the time, and your improvements will be available to everybody, not just the Code::Blocks community, and there's no tampering with patches and half-way done revisions.

How does that sound?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Olorin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:29:22 pm »
To Takeshi Miya: thanks a lot, actually I don't plan to change so much in wxFNB look and feel (so: buttons on the right and custom styles, for now), but I'm almost in a planning stage and you suggestions are highly appreciated.

You're right, I think that I'll contact the original author (or mantainer)... as I said it turned out that a patch would cover almost all of his project so I don't know what approach would be better, if a new project or a branch... that can be seen together, anyway.

Thanks a lot!

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 03:39:17 pm »
Hi,

@olorin
I sent you an email - contact me directly and we can discuss improvments for the control

Eran

Olorin

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:32:21 pm »
Hi everybody,
I'm really sorry but (as you may have already noticed) I really have no time to work on this subject anymore, at least for the upcoming months.
Some days after starting this thread I sent a small patch to eranif, part of which got included in wxAUI tree. Sadly that was all I could do. I planned to join 280Z28's attempt to merge wxAUI and wxFlatNotebook, but that project seems to be dead (well, I'm not sure, it's some time since I last checked its SVN repository). Maybe in the future I'll find some time to work on this subject, but for now it's impossible. I hope that this "proposal" didn't stop any other project and, if, so, pleas accept my excuses.

Best regards
Olorin

Offline phlox81

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • phlox81.de
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:09 pm »
Hi everybody,
I'm really sorry but (as you may have already noticed) I really have no time to work on this subject anymore, at least for the upcoming months.
Some days after starting this thread I sent a small patch to eranif, part of which got included in wxAUI tree. Sadly that was all I could do. I planned to join 280Z28's attempt to merge wxAUI and wxFlatNotebook, but that project seems to be dead (well, I'm not sure, it's some time since I last checked its SVN repository). Maybe in the future I'll find some time to work on this subject, but for now it's impossible. I hope that this "proposal" didn't stop any other project and, if, so, pleas accept my excuses.

Best regards
Olorin

wxAUI is Dead ??

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
wxAUI is Dead ??
No, of course not. 280Z28 is in not related to wxAUI.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."