Author Topic: Keep up the great work!  (Read 3623 times)

nfz

Keep up the great work!
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:03:55 pm »
Over the last year and a bit I have been using C::B + MingW to do developement work for Ogre (Dagon version) although mostly to just compile with gcc to see if there were any problems with code compiled with MSVC and gcc.  I'll admit I didn't do much editing with it or debugging until around Oct 2005 when I started seriously considering to use C::B for all my development work.  In the first week of January 2006 I dropped MSVC (due to extenuating circumstances) cold turkey and began to use C::B as my only Dev IDE for doing work on Ogre.  At first I was using RC2 but after a few days I started building from source obtained from svn so that I could tweek the integrated debugger section since that is what I really liked about MSVC IDE and so having similar functionality in C::B was critical to me being happy with staying with C::B.  The first few days with gdb were rough (more of a mental block, not liking to learn something new when I didn't have a lot of time and biased) but now I enjoy using gdb within C::B.

After using C::B every day for the last 2.5 months to get Ogre ready for 1.2 release which included writing all code, compiling/linking and debuging within C::B,  I am happy to say that I will be staying with C::B + MingW.  A big thanks goes to the developers and the contributors for continously improving Code::Blocks and making it a pleasure to use.

Some will say that there are still a lot of bugs in C::B and sure there are but there are a lot of annoying bugs in MSVC IDE too.  The cool thing with C::B is that we as programmers can fix them, submit a patch, feel good about contributing  :D and move on.  Can't do that with MSVC.

Anyway, Keep up the great work!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Keep up the great work!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:28:36 pm »
Thanks nfz :)

Does this mean you have any pending patches for the debugger or are you talking about what it can already do? ;) :lol:
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...