Author Topic: GDB 14.1  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Wkerry

• Multiple posting newcomer
GDB 14.1
« on: December 29, 2023, 11:10:59 pm »
GDB 14.1 is out and it supports DAP like Visual Studio code. Are there any plans to support DAP as it seems to be the way forward.

Offline tomazzi

• Single posting newcomer
Re: GDB 14.1
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 01:32:12 am »
GDB 14.1 is out and it supports DAP like Visual Studio code. Are there any plans to support DAP as it seems to be the way forward.
Hopefully no - it would be a disaster.
Currently C::B supports only the GDB "terminal" interface - it's simulating the commands as if they were issued from the shell to GDB.
This works fine (in most cases), but DAP is basically a JSON, and i must admit that I'm shocked - what an idiot came to the conclusion that JSON is a viable solution? - it's a complete disaster when it comes to performance - if CB team would decide to use this shit, then I'll simply fork the CB project and use my own version - seriously.

Offline Wkerry

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 02:20:03 am »
Allot of IDE's have support for DAP including very obscure ones.

You will need allot of help with forking all of the IDE's that currently support DAP if you want to stay away from DAP.

Offline tomazzi

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 02:43:37 am »
Allot of IDE's have support for DAP including very obscure ones.

You will need allot of help with forking all of the IDE's that currently support DAP if you want to stay away from DAP.
Serious debugging is happening on JTAG, and not on source-level debuggers ;)

DAP is forced by MSFT, and I'm guessing that it have landed in GDB only because it was sponsored - a traditional way for EEE (IMO) - in any case, it's not a game changer from technical point of view ...

Regards

Offline Wkerry

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 03:26:30 am »
DAP is a game changer. Just like POSIX is.