Author Topic: Save project as template grayed out  (Read 2156 times)

Offline loxley11

• Single posting newcomer
Save project as template grayed out
« on: July 19, 2023, 02:48:57 am »
Hello,

After creating and running a project (console application), I found that the "save project as template" option in the file menu was grayed out (along with several other save options). I'm a complete noob using the learncpp.com tutorial, so guessing I'm missing something dumb, but wasn't able to find a previous message specific to this issue on the forum. (I did find many posts about debugging menu options being grayed out, but it seemed like this issue was due to not first creating a project, which I did. And sadly Google returned no relevant results either.)

I'm using 20.03 on windows 7 (best I have at the moment). I've selected the project folder before opening the file menu.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

-drew
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 03:08:35 am by loxley11 »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Save project as template grayed out
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 07:37:33 am »
The options being disabled usually means that your project that just ran is still running or paused in memory.

Make sure that the project has exited, or kill the project running in the background.
Click the "abort" button or the "stop debugging" button below the main menu.

An easy way to check this is to use the task manager, find your program and click "end task".

I'm not quite sure what all that would be for Win 7. Been a long time gone.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:39:58 am by Pecan »

Offline loxley11

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 02:43:59 am »
Hi Pecan, thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, abort is also disabled on the build menu, along with several other options. Killing C::B in task manager didn't seem to help. I assume the execution console running my program was just some sub-process of C::B, but at any rate, I didn't notice any new tasks or processes running to suggest otherwise.

I downloaded v20.03 32-bit, then updated the 32-bit MinGW compiler as recommended by Alex's learncpp tutorial. I honestly don't remember whether I got it from FossHub or SourceForge though. Wondering if I just need to try a new compiler, but given my ancient OS, I'm starting to think these problems will haunt me regardless.

Of note, I had to install api-ms-win-crt-string-|1-1-0.dll to get C::B to run in the first place, so not sure if that's an indication of a larger problem.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 07:05:03 am »
... I downloaded v20.03 32-bit, then updated the 32-bit MinGW compiler as recommended by Alex's learncpp tutorial. I honestly don't remember whether I got it from FossHub or SourceForge though. Wondering if I just need to try a new compiler, but given my ancient OS, I'm starting to think these problems will haunt me regardless.

Of note, I had to install api-ms-win-crt-string-|1-1-0.dll to get C::B to run in the first place, so not sure if that's an indication of a larger problem.

From your description (running a console program) and the fact that you installed a new ucrt runtime dll, I'd guess that there lies the problem.

That dll, I believe, can only be installed on a Window 7 version that is "Windows 7 SP1". Is your windows version at that level.

I also understand that there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of that dll. Did you install the correct one? There are two versions of Universal C Runtime for Window 7 SP1.

I'm sorry; I no longer have access to Windows 7, so I cannot be of much help.

Info: Installing UCRT
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows-322bf30f-4735-bb94-3949-49f5c49f4732
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 07:10:51 am by Pecan »