Author Topic: SourceForge as a SVN mirror  (Read 8172 times)

takeshimiya

SourceForge as a SVN mirror
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:37:05 am »
Hi!

Given the downtimes BerliOS has been experiencing lately, could SF become a SVN mirror?

The good news:
The SourceForge.net team is pleased to announce the General Availability
of Subversion service to SourceForge.net-hosted projects, effective
2006-02-21.

The Subversion service includes:

SSL-based Repository Access:
* Developer Subversion access via HTTPS, auth is requested when you
perform a write operation
* Anonymous Subversion access via HTTPS
* No sync delays between developer and anonymous Subversion access
* Per-developer access control over repository access (ACL support to be
added in the future) via the SourceForge.net permissions system

Web-based viewing:
* Web-based repository access via ViewVC (formerly known as ViewCVS)

On-demand self-service backups and mirroring capability:
* Read-only rsync access to the repository to permit backups and
remote mirroring

Ease of migration:
* Automated self-service migration of your SourceForge.net project CVS
repository, CVS tarball, or Subversion dump to our Subversion service

Well-considered add-ons to basic service:
* A selected set of hook scripts, including commit email support and
CIA bot support
* Statistics tracking of Subversion repository activity

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SourceForge as a SVN mirror
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 12:33:02 pm »
Given the downtimes BerliOS has been experiencing lately, could SF become a SVN mirror?
I have not experienced any downtimes, although I use BerliOS 12-16 hours per day, every day.

The SourceForge.net team is pleased to announce the General Availability
Lots of blah blah, those are the very same standard options available everywhere.

To get back to your question: We moved away from Sourceforge for a couple of good reasons. Lack of Subversion support was only one of them.
Sourceforge as a SVN mirror is not an option for the same reasons as Sourceforge as CVS mirror is not (or BerliOS as CVS mirror, for that matter).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:09:13 pm »
Then why is the SF project still there? If you are not using it, delete it....

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:50:29 pm »
well for the moment there are still some bug reports, feature requests, patches at SF. Even closed ones, that's important histroy of the project. But now it has been made clear to everyone (even on the webpage you are now directed to berlios) the place to be is berlios.

Trikko

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:41:56 pm »
I have not experienced any downtimes, although I use BerliOS 12-16 hours per day, every day.

I've experienced them! And downloads are really slowly in these day and neither support resume
(for me, 10kb/s on berlios, 240 kb/s on sf.net).

But that's not a problem, i just need patience... :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:21:17 pm »
I've experienced them!

That's why I mentioned this.
Do you think that a hook script in BerliOS updating the SF SVN repository would do any bad?
Nothing to worry now, but if there are more downtimes it should be something to consider. The development will continue on BerliOS, and SF can act as a secondary mirror / backup solution. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 08:27:03 pm »
I've experienced them!
We're not talking about FTP downloads (at least half of these problems were user-generated, btw.), but about complete failure of SSH authentication and CVS commits, lost commits, mixed revisions. We are talking about trying to checkout or commit for two hours without any success. We are talking about the repository being locked for no apparent reason one day. We are talking about losing one week's work because SF just deletes random files, from random recent revisions...
Ask Yiannis about it, he can tell you a tale of writing the same code five times...

This used to be the daily SNAFU at Sourceforge when we decided to leave. BerliOS has never ever shown a single problem of this kind. It has never had any serious condition which prevented us from working or caused a loss of our work.

Do you think that a hook script in BerliOS updating the SF SVN repository would do any bad?
Yes, indeed.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 08:44:44 pm »
And from Berlios when the devs say "fixed" I can immediately update to the latetest revision, while in SF the anonymous cvs requests would get the latest commits after a few hours.
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 08:46:12 pm »
I've experienced them!
[...]but about complete failure of SSH authentication and CVS commits, lost commits, mixed revisions. We are talking about trying to checkout or commit for two hours without any success. We are talking about the repository being locked for no apparent reason one day. We are talking about losing one week's work because SF just deletes random files, from random recent revisions...
Ask Yiannis about it, he can tell you a tale of writing the same code five times...

This seems to be a real nightmare. I must admit that I am rather surprised :o and shocked :shock:. Anyway, it is good to know that such problems can occur with SF.

Unfortunately, it seems that BerliOS does not "easily" accept even a good project.

Best wishes,
Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 09:30:21 pm »
And from Berlios when the devs say "fixed" I can immediately update to the latetest revision, while in SF the anonymous cvs requests would get the latest commits after a few hours.
That is fixed now in SF (No sync delays between developer and anonymous Subversion access).

Too bad to hear all those problems with SF.

It's really more difficult to get a project accepted on BerliOS than SourceForge?
I'm about to set up one and I was about to do it in SF.

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 10:03:34 pm »
That is fixed now in SF (No sync delays between developer and anonymous Subversion access).
That was a great disadvantage, I'm glad they stopped it... After all SF is probably the largest open source repository and I really hope that it works right. Anyway the repository is not my choice (I can just say my experiences as a user), I was just pointing out something that really bothered me (along with the fact that SF was/is too slow for me).
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.