Author Topic: Code completion using LSP and clangd  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Code completion using LSP and clangd
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:13:50 pm »
I have developed a clangd CB plugin client using Language Server Protocol (LSP).

It's working well.
However, it requires clangd version 12 to work even better.

What is the CodeBlocks policy of distributing an executable, say, clangd.exe v12 with the usual CodeBlock distribution.

CodeLite also distributes clangd with its LSP plugin.

Request for Comments.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:16:43 pm by Pecan »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Code completion using LSP and clangd
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:33:10 pm »
Shipping clangd is a windows thing. I don't think we should do it. Just detect the LLVM installation and use it. Or prompt the user to install it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 11:34:07 pm »
What is the purpose of this LSP plugin? Just provide faster error messages?
In my experience implementing a CC plugin with LSP doesn't work well (don't remember the details).
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 01:24:00 am »
Hi, Pecan, good work!

For me, I think distribute a clangd.dll is OK, or we can distribute a separate plugin package(include the plugin and the clangd.dll). Then the user can just download and unpack it.

If I remember correctly, there is an option in CodeLite IDE, which can let user select which clangd.dll it will use.

Do you have a code repo which others can build/test this plugin?

In my experience implementing a CC plugin with LSP doesn't work well (don't remember the details).
Using the LSP, I think at least code completion list will be more precise than the native CC.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:56 pm »
Shipping clangd is a windows thing. I don't think we should do it. Just detect the LLVM installation and use it. Or prompt the user to install it.

Just detecting the installation and using its clangd does not work. I've already tried that. The llvm's versions up to version 8 have no reliable clangd for a CB plugin.

The clangd in llvm versions 8 through 11 are so different from  version 12 that the plugin using them would require two separate plugins or spaghetti code to support them.

CB will have to pick some version between 10 through 12 and program towards that.

I've chosen to work with clangd v12. It can reload the compile commands database without having to kill/restart the LSP server when a user opens a new file.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:45:40 pm by Pecan »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:27:11 pm »

Using  LSP "workspace/publishDiagnostics" with clangd is working well for me. I'ts halved my development time. I no longer have to compile the code to find the errors. They're presented to me as I enter the code or save it.

Clangd supports all the LSP calls plus it's own extensions. So far, I've implemented all CB CC's features via LSP calls except the Symbols browser. Though that's possible to do.

LSP/Clangd is primarily focused on the translation unit (TU). But its still possible to provide a bigger picture by asking for workspace symbols. I haven't tried that (yet).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:55:34 pm by Pecan »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 05:38:30 pm »
...<snip>...
If I remember correctly, there is an option in CodeLite IDE, which can let user select which clangd.dll it will use.

Do you have a code repo which others can build/test this plugin?
...<snip>...

CodeLite allows the user to choose the clang to use, but it prioritizes using clangd v10, which it distributes in dir Runtime/lsp.
Later versions of clangd are very independent of llvm/clang. For example clangd v12 can use many llvm/clang versions.

I don't have a repository yet. Things are still very experimental. But I'll work on that.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 06:05:26 pm »
For the record the latest version of clang is 11.1. clang/llvm 12 is some night build. This would fail dramatically on linux if you base your development on this version at least until clang/llvm 12 is actually released in the summer.

Clangd supports all the LSP calls plus it's own extensions. So far, I've implemented all CB CC's features via LSP calls except the Symbols browser. Though that's possible to do.
I know that, CC features required changes to the CCManager API last time I've tried to do it. At least if you want to provide good experience.
I don't think implementing the diagnostics in another info pane tab is a good idea, but this requires another CCManager change which would allow in-editor-notifications.

Also I don't know how is using a mix of clang/gcc these days, but it was a problem in the past.
Also I'm not sure if it is a good idea to base your LSP plugin on only one implementation. If you're going to do it name it clangd-lsp. :)

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:21:33 pm »
For the record the latest version of clang is 11.1. clang/llvm 12 is some night build. This would fail dramatically on linux if you base your development on this version at least until clang/llvm 12 is actually released in the summer.

I know that, CC features required changes to the CCManager API last time I've tried to do it. At least if you want to provide good experience.
I don't think implementing the diagnostics in another info pane tab is a good idea, but this requires another CCManager change which would allow in-editor-notifications.

Also I don't know how is using a mix of clang/gcc these days, but it was a problem in the past.
Also I'm not sure if it is a good idea to base your LSP plugin on only one implementation. If you're going to do it name it clangd-lsp. :)

In the furture, I'm sure we can generalize to a LSP UI. For the time being, I'm coding a plugin to concentrate learning and experimentation. I'll be happy to name it clangd-lsp. That's a good name.

Good to know clangd v12 rc1 may be out in the summer. I don't expect this plugin will be ready to publish any sooner.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:23:25 pm by Pecan »

Offline Lazauya

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 05:02:42 am »
Do you have a public repo? I'm super interested in contributing to this plugin.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 06:34:47 am »
Do you have a public repo? I'm super interested in contributing to this plugin.

I do not yet have a public repo.
The current code is very experimental and in a raw combination of both used and deprecated code, full of unreleasable log writes.

I will make a repo when I can clean up the code  and after I do more debugging.
I'm working hard at it.

But thanks for the offer. 

Offline Lazauya

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 06:46:02 pm »
The current code is very experimental and in a raw combination of both used and deprecated code, full of unreleasable log writes.

I will make a repo when I can clean up the code  and after I do more debugging.

I don't mind. I could definitely help in debugging, test writing, code cleaning, etc. This is the kind of thing I've been looking for, and I'd very much like to accelerate development of it as much as possible, if you would let me.