Author Topic: Why the size of CodeBlocks is so small?  (Read 21677 times)

Bud

Why the size of CodeBlocks is so small?
« on: April 12, 2005, 02:27:36 pm »
I use Win XP.
I installed MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe and found the size of C:\MinGW is 147MB.
I also installed Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta6 full setup file and found the size of C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks is 70.8 MB.
I think it is unreasonable that the size of C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks is smaller than C:\MinGW.
Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta6 full setup file= Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta6 core setup file+MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3.exe.
Does Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta6 full setup file include incomplete MinGW?
I hope Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta6 full setup file can include complete MinGW then I can use the full functionality of gcc and g++.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 02:38:21 pm »
The full setup doesn't contain MinGW-3.2.0, but parts of MinGW-3.1.0-1.
Specifically it contains:
Code
gcc-core-3.4.2
gcc-g++-3.4.2
binutils
gdb
mingw-runtime
w32api

I don't have all the versions handy, but I used the latest releases for most of the above...

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 09:25:08 am »
I hope CodeBlocks can be better than Dev-C++.
http://www.geocities.com/uniqueness_template/
And I hope Code::Blocks IDE full setup file can include the latest and "whole" MinGW version (includes the RC version).
I like MinGW and I don't want to see Code::Blocks IDE full setup file only include part of MinGW.
Thanks!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 09:54:36 am »
I like MinGW and I don't want to see Code::Blocks IDE full setup file only include part of MinGW.

MinGW-3.2.0-rc* is huge and I 'm not going to provide it. It has many things inside it than most programmers won't need. For example it contains compilers for fortran, ada, java and whatnot. If someone needs these extras, he can always download them from the MinGW site.

And don't forget: I provide the full setup just as a convenience for the new users.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 01:00:04 am »
Quote from: mandrav

MinGW-3.2.0-rc* is huge and I 'm not going to provide it.
Yiannis.

Thanks! I know your meaning.
But I also want to see the Code::Blocks IDE full setup file can include the part of latest version MinGW.
Now, the MinGW-3.2.0-rc3 is newer than MinGW-3.1.0-1.
Although the MinGW-3.2.0-rc3 is release candidate, I still want that the Code::Blocks IDE full setup file can includes the part of latest version MinGW.
I like the latest version.
Thanks!

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 07:32:47 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
Although the MinGW-3.2.0-rc3 is release candidate, I still want that the Code::Blocks IDE full setup file can includes the part of latest version MinGW.
I like the latest version.
Thanks!

Iv'e only played with Code::Blocks for about an hour after finding it the other day. The main think that struck me as very nice about CodeBlocks was the ability to easily switch what toolchain you use to build the same project, without even having to close the project.

So, why can't you just go to compiler options, select GNU GCC Compiler, click "Copy", give it the name "MinGW-3.2.0-rc3", click "Programs" tab, change the Compilers installation directory to whereever your 3.2.0 bin directory is, go to "Directories" tab and add the path to 3.2.0 include directory. Walla, you are using MinGW 3.2.0 instead of 3.2.0, at least in theory. Awesome.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:11:07 pm »
MinGW-4.0.0 has been released.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82724
I hope Code::Blocks IDE full setup file can use the latest MinGW in the next release.
And be always up-to-date!
Thanks!

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 06:14:25 pm »
Quote from: Mingw news item
This is an alpha version of the installer. The packages installed from the Current component are quality production ready applications. The alpha installer is offered for user feedback as soon as possible. Weeks more of work is required to get the installer to where it needs to be. One important missing feature is the ability to select a mirror. Mirror selection will be the next item added.

This is not a whole release it still uses the stable files (although this is optional) of mingw/gcc/make/etc. I think we should wait for the stable releases... (We?? I am not even a team member  :? )
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 03:43:44 pm »
Id like to see the developers of code::blocks continue as is: focusing on developing codeblocks rather than fiddling with the latest version of MinGW - what's the big deal - you can download the codeblocks installer without MinGW and install MinGW seperately. The codeblocks todo list is very long as is and I for one can't wait to see the Codecompletion plugin working, and user defined shortcut keys and more compiler options in the GUI, and VC toolkit debugger integration and , and and....

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 06:00:22 pm »
and I for one can't wait to see the Codecompletion plugin working, and user defined shortcut keys and more compiler options in the GUI, and VC toolkit debugger integration and , and and....

... and we need more devs :lol:

The codeblocks discussion regarding MinGW is to get ideas etc. Besides we've been having LOTS of reports and troubleshooting messages that have to deal with wrong mingw version.

(See, posting on forums generally requires zero effort - as opposed to fixing bugs, which I can't do while I'm at the job  :roll: )

Trust me, we're working on fixing the bugs :) And if there's something you want  in the code completion, please check the feature requests. They're not decorative, youknow.
[/quote]