Author Topic: CB Menu modify plugin  (Read 8845 times)

Offline anandamu16

• Multiple posting newcomer
CB Menu modify plugin
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:24 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to create a plugin to add an extra menu item in codeblocks.
Is there any guide, I can refer?

I referred this article, http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Creating_a_Plug-in_which_modifies_CB's_Menus
But its outdated and giving errors on using the api mentioned. Is there any updated one?

I tried to build the menu plugin following the above link, but I struck into submenu part.
Adding a submenu
Let's take our manipulation of the menu 1 step further. Let's create a submenu, which has its own entries. Since a submenu is nothing more then a menu, we first need to create a new menu object; this new object has to live as long as the plug-in itself, so it can not be a local variable, it needs to be stored in the class itself. Therefor we added the member m_SubMenu1, initialized to NULL, and released during the destructor. We will allocate it now :

m_SubMenu1 = new wxMenu();
And we append this new menu to our EditMenu :

EditMenu->Append(idSubMenu1, _("SubMenu1"), m_SubMenu1);

Build Log

Code
\Users\zbcqcm\Documents\Codeblocks_SVN\MenuPlugin\MenuPlugin.cpp -o .objs\MenuPlugin.o
mingw32-g++.exe -shared   -Wl,--dll -LC:\zbcqcm\codeblocks_svn_code\code\src\devel -LC:\wxMSW-2.8.12\wxMSW-2.8.12\lib\gcc_dll -LC:\wxMSW-2.8.12\wxMSW-2.8.12\lib\gcc_dll -L"C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks" .objs\MenuPlugin.o  -o MenuPlugin.dll -mthreads  -lcodeblocks -lwxmsw28u
C:\Users\zbcqcm\Documents\Codeblocks_SVN\MenuPlugin\MenuPlugin.cpp: In member function 'virtual void MenuPlugin::BuildMenu(wxMenuBar*)':
C:\Users\zbcqcm\Documents\Codeblocks_SVN\MenuPlugin\MenuPlugin.cpp:79:5: error: 'm_SubMenu1' was not declared in this scope
     m_SubMenu1 = new wxMenu();
     ^
C:\Users\zbcqcm\Documents\Codeblocks_SVN\MenuPlugin\MenuPlugin.cpp:80:22: error: 'idSubMenu1' was not declared in this scope
     EditMenu->Append(idSubMenu1, _("SubMenu1"), m_SubMenu1);
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:01:38 pm by anandamu16 »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: CB Menu modify plugin
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:57:25 pm »
Code
error: 'm_SubMenu1' was not declared in this scope
In C++, to use a member variable, you have to define it first, then use it.  :)  This is the same reason of the error about "idSubMenu1".
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline anandamu16

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:41 am »
Thanks, and sorry for asking such a dumb question

Some things I noticed, that varies from the CB's Menu plugin article are: Instead of using "messagemanager.h" we have to use "logmanager.h" as I guess messagemanager.h is no more available in codeblocks. And so as subsequent commands will get modify in Event handler functions. Maybe, someone can update the document.

Some doubts I had, may be if anyone can answer.
- Do I need to learn creating wxwidget project... to add a separate window for my plugin Menu entry or configuring wxsmith will be enough.? If wxsmith is enough, then when we can use wxwidget?

Offline anandamu16

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:18 am »
Moreover, after installing my plugin, when I tried to uninstall the plugin. Codeblocks crashes away. I didn't get, why that happen?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »
Codeblocks crashes away. I didn't get, why that happen?
you have to debug it to get a backtrace... If your plugin project is set up correctly you simply can hit the debugger button and it should launch codeblocks and you can debug all things like a normal program...

to add a separate window for my plugin Menu entry or configuring wxsmith will be enough.?
You can add awxSmith dialog by simply wxSmith->Add Dialog... this should work fine.. maybe you have to set the paths to wxWidgets for the compiler and linker...

Offline yvesdm3000

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:41 pm »
Moreover, after installing my plugin, when I tried to uninstall the plugin. Codeblocks crashes away. I didn't get, why that happen?
Why don't you try something simpler than a plugin? One easily runs into some issue where a developer needs a lot of experience to solve it...
Just a wxWidgets based app alone sounds like a big enough challenge for you...

Yves
Clang based code completion for Code::Blocks:   http://github.com/yvesdm3000/ClangLib

Offline anandamu16

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:17:26 am »
Just a wxWidgets based app alone sounds like a big enough challenge for you...

I tried to create a wxwidget application for a smooth start, but I got the error. Check "http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,21745.new.html#new"