Author Topic: app.cpp  (Read 8359 times)

sethjackson

app.cpp
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:21:31 pm »
Hi got a tiny question about app.cpp.

Why this?

Code: cpp
void CodeBlocksApp::HideSplashScreen()
{
    if (m_pSplash)
        delete m_pSplash;
    m_pSplash = 0;
}

I belive it should be this....

{
    if (m_pSplash)
    {
        delete m_pSplash;
        m_pSplash = 0;
    }
}

It seems to me that m_pSplash is getting set to 0 unnessecarily.....

Patch below fixes the problem (I think).....  :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: app.cpp
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:29:41 pm »
If you don't zero the pointer after deleting, you may delete it twice (as HideSplashScreen can be called more often than once).

Deleting the same object twice is a MCA.

EDIT:
Hmm... after reading your post more carefully, you do zero the pointer, sorry ;)
Yes, you are maybe right, it might be zeroed more often than needed, but it really does not matter here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 09:33:04 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »
Actually, it's perfectly OK to delete a null pointer. So maybe it should be
{
    delete m_pSplash;
    if (m_pSplash)
        m_pSplash = 0;
}
?

However, checking the if probably takes more time than the assignment would take, so
{
    delete m_pSplash;
    m_pSplash = 0;
}
is probably even better.

If you don't zero the pointer after deleting, you may delete it twice (as HideSplashScreen can be called more often than once).

All these versions set the pointer to null after a delete (except the first one above, but only if it was already null).

Deleting the same object twice is a MCA.

MCA?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:22 pm »
Since HideSplashScreen is usually called exactly once, and in the exceptional case twice, I believe it really does not pay to spend time even thinking about one more pointer assignment :lol:

MCA?
MCA = GAU
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:49 pm »
{
    delete m_pSplash;
    m_pSplash = 0;
}
That's it : deleting NULL pointers is safe in C++, see one of the Herb Sutter books.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:13:13 pm »
C++ guarantees that operator delete checks its argument for null-ness. If the argument is 0, the delete expression has no effect. In other words, deleting a null pointer is a safe (yet useless) operation. There is no need to check the pointer for null-ness before passing it to delete.

Michael

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:47:48 pm »
Michael, I think we have a lift off  :P

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:54:18 pm »
Well, if you really think that this will make anything better, then you should at least do it right, there are a couple more of these constructs... :)

Like so:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 12:03:32 am »
Well, if you really think that this will make anything better, then you should at least do it right, there are a couple more of these constructs... :)

Like so:
[attachment: useless.patch.txt]

Actually, that looks like a nice code cleanup1, which I wouldn't call useless at all. :D

1) Especially with the annoying new wxCriticalSectionLocker removal you seem to have thrown in; what's the point of wxCriticalSectionLocker if you're going to dynamically allocate it? :shock:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 12:30:28 am »
1) Especially with the annoying new wxCriticalSectionLocker removal you seem to have thrown in; what's the point of wxCriticalSectionLocker if you're going to dynamically allocate it? :shock:
I had already made that particular modification 2 months ago, but it somehow made its way out again...
My point with an automatic critical section locker inside a curly brace block is that it is about 200 times faster than dynamically allocating and manually freeing it, and it is exception-safe too, which is the main reason why you use a locker object in the first place. :)

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 01:15:42 am »
[...]
My point with an automatic critical section locker inside a curly brace block is that it is about 200 times faster than dynamically allocating and manually freeing it, and it is exception-safe too, which is the main reason why you use a locker object in the first place. :)

You realize that was a rhetorical question, right?

EDIT: Oh, and in addition to the reasons you gave, you can always call wxCriticalSection::Enter() and wxCriticalSection::Leave() instead of dynamically creating and destroying a locker, for the exact same effect but without the dynamic allocation overhead. (So still not exception-safe, but at least as fast as a non-dynamically allocated locker)
(Therefore there is absolutely no reason to ever use new wxCriticalSectionLocker. There is always a better way)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:21:40 am by Urxae »