Author Topic: Best Practice for importing Windows7 Visual Studio workspace to linux codeblocks  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Kaspatoo

• Single posting newcomer
Hi,

Up to now I was developing some c++ under Windows 7 Visual Studio Express 2013.
Because the application I am developing a small component for runs on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Desktop) I thought of developing directy under Linux so that I do not need to move the code from Windows to Linux before running make-command for the whole application.

I do not need to compile within my IDE.

When in codeblocks opening the sln-file codeblocks is importing my both projects, asking me for default compiler and debug configuration.
But then there are no files displayed. I think its because of the absolute path within the visual studio project files which additionally stand in windows-format \ and not linux format /.

Is there a best-practice described to import/convert/transfer an exisiting VS project to codeblocks?
Or would it be the best to just copy my cpp-files without VS files and create a new project? In this way I had to reconfigure my references/ dependencies.

Thanks in advance.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
How old is your Code::Blocks? What version is your Code::Blocks?

Edit1:
But then there are no files displayed. I think its because of the absolute path within the visual studio project files which additionally stand in windows-format \ and not linux format /.

If your Code::Blocks is recent on Windows; doing a Project Save-As after importing will save with Forward Slashes.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:17:25 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Kaspatoo

• Single posting newcomer
hi,

in installed the version from apt-get install. Its version 16.01.
Its not the very latest via PPA.

If your Code::Blocks is recent on Windows; doing a Project Save-As after importing will save with Forward Slashes.
On windows there I have microsoft visual studio 2013 express.
I am unsure what you are goind to advice me. Shall I install codeblocks on windows?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Or would it be the best to just copy my cpp-files without VS files and create a new project? In this way I had to reconfigure my references/ dependencies.
i thins is the best approach. You can't use the compiler flags anyway and only importing cpp files is easy with "recursive adding" files to the project...

greetings