Author Topic: No output screen  (Read 9951 times)

Offline papagym

• Multiple posting newcomer
No output screen
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:16:39 am »
Just reloaded CB 13-12 Mingw from sourceforge and I had to reset the compiler manually since I got a yellow box error when I opened CB. (Is there a problem with that download from sorceforge???  After fixing it I compiled a simple add two number program and there were no compiler errors.  But the output screen never opened to show the output.  Can someone tell me if I have to change some more settings to make the console output work and where?

The reason I did a reinstall in the first place is, that I have also been getting some Norton Anti virus error reports after I compile a known good programs.  This just started happening recently.  Does anyone else get false positive from Norton AV??  I'm attaching a snippet of the one I got after running this add program above.  I'm new to this forum so I hope you can see this image.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: No output screen
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:05:29 pm »
modern anti virus programs use heuristics to find viruses. One of this heuristic is if one executable generates a other executable... The purpose of a linker is to generate a executable, so most av (or lets say the bad ones, like norton ;) ) software thinks the linker (compiler) is a virus and blocks the creation of the executable (or the execution of this executable, like in your case)
This warnings are 99% false positive and can be ignored. I would recommend to put the compiler folder and your working directory on the ignore list of your av program...

Offline papagym

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply BlueHazzard.  But I have no idea of how to setup a folder to an ignore list on Norton AV if there is a way to do so in Norton AV.

Can someone tell me how to do that or recommend better AV to use?

I still can't get CB to show the output screen even thought the program compiles fine with no errors an I used cin.get(); to pause it.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:50:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply BlueHazzard.  But I have no idea of how to setup a folder to an ignore list on Norton AV if there is a way to do so in Norton AV.

Can someone tell me how to do that or recommend better AV to use?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=add+folder+to+ignore+list+norton+anti+virus

I still can't get CB to show the output screen even thought the program compiles fine with no errors an I used cin.get(); to pause it.
does the executable exists in the folder? If the executable don't exists then your av is blocking the creation as i told you...
But to be sure: can you post the build log after a rebuild:
Build->Rebuild
and then post the log from the "Build log" tab in code tags (the # symbol in the new post editor from the forum)

greetings

Offline papagym

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:16:57 pm »
Thanks for point out that you can excluding files from giving false/positives reports.

WARNING MAKE SURE THAT YOUR FILES ARE NOT INFECTED BEFORE DOING THIS!
Run a scan and check everything that is put under Quarantine.

For Windows users reading this post it is pretty simple to do in Norton AV.
(if you know that you can exclude drives, folders, files in the first place) 
Yes that right, you can even exclude an entire drive.  I some times get false/positive reports from my backup drive (My Passport E:) on files that were deleted, so I excluded the entire drive.

Here is how to do this, its really simple:  Click Orb=> All Programs=>Norton AV=>Settings Tab=>The exclude window should now be open.  Click on any one of the configure (+) and use the browser button there to find what you want to exclude. You have to click on ADD to add and type in you want to exclude and then confirm this by clicking Yes and your done.  (I'm not sure but I've read that some exclusions may have to be done under SONAR)