Author Topic: Can't build "hello world". --- mac, gcc --- unexpected EOF --- Status 2.  (Read 5204 times)

Offline RichardWayneSmith

• Single posting newcomer
Hi all,
  I am an intermediate level c++ programmer trying to set up code blocks and gcc.

I am running on an old mac (snow leopard - mac tower) and using the current version of Code::Blocks IDE.  I am not planning to do anything amazing.  Just write a few simple programs to get back in practice with c++, and modify some text files.

FIRST:
I believe that I have the gcc complier correctly installed.  When I go into the terminal, and type "gcc -v" I get:

Towers-Mac-Pro:~ tower$ gcc -v
     Using built-in specs.
     Target: i686-apple-darwin10
      Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5664~38/src/configure --disable-checking --enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-     languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin10 --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin10- --host=x86_64-apple-darwin10 --target=i686-apple-darwin10 --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.2.1
      Thread model: posix
      gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

SECOND:
The Code::Blocks application is placed in my application folder.  (Nestled between Chess.app and Dashboard.app.)

THIRD:
In my programming projects folder, I have a testProject folder.  This currently contains:

bin (folder)
     doxygen (folder)
     main.cpp    // This is the standard hello world console app.  i added a few characters to "hello world" just to make sure that the right hello world is running.
                      // I am sure that the c++ program is syntactically correct.
     obj  (folder)
     testProject.cbp
     testProject.layout

FOURTH:
Inside the Code::Blocks, IDE, in the left hand window pane, I see:

Workspace
          testProject
               Sources
                    main.cpp

From this location / state, I try to build the project.

FIFTH:
When I try to build, I get the following error messages:

------------- Build: Debug in testProject (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

g++ -Wall -fexceptions -g -Wall  -c "/Rick's Stuff/Programming Projects/testProject/main.cpp" -o obj/Debug/main.o
     s: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
     s: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Process terminated with status 2 (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))
     0 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))

CONCLUSIONS:

The first line of the error message above suggests that the gcc compiler is attached to the project and trying to build the code.  But I do not know why it does not see the main.cpp file, as it is in the project, and I ran the builder from the project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks!

Warm regards, Rick.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I suggest to remove the apostroph in the file-path and probably also the space.

Offline Easior Lars

• Multiple posting newcomer

------------- Build: Debug in testProject (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

g++ -Wall -fexceptions -g -Wall  -c "/Rick's Stuff/Programming Projects/testProject/main.cpp" -o obj/Debug/main.o

It seems like encoding problem. You should best check the encoding setting of your system and the editor of Code::Blocks? Can you paste the build log of the following command line:
Code
$ cd /Rick's Stuff/Programming Projects/testProject/
$ g++ main.cpp
Development Environments:GCC+CodeBlocks+wxWidgets
Developing Languages:Bash+Python+C/CPP+LaTeX
Developer Utils:Emacs+GIT+OpenSSH+GPG
OS:Mac OS X, Gentoo/Kali Linux/Fedora/CentOS, MS Windows
Blog:http://easior.i11r.com

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!

It seems like encoding problem. You should best check the encoding setting of your system and the editor of Code::Blocks? Can you paste the build log of the following command line:
Code
$ cd /Rick's Stuff/Programming Projects/testProject/
$ g++ main.cpp

No, it looks like an apostroph (single quote) in the command line, that  does not get escaped (correctly) in my eyes.
I just tried similar path on linux and get the same result.
So again, removing the apostroph should work.
And again removing spaces from path is also a good idea, because sometimes older tools stumble over it.

Offline RichardWayneSmith

• Single posting newcomer
Hello everyone,
I did some experiments.

If I remove the apostrophe but not the spaces, then the log in the bottom window of Code::Blocks looks like it runs, but the console gives this message:

/RicksStuff/Programming Projects/testProject/main
     Towers-Mac-Pro:~ tower$ /RicksStuff/Programming Projects/testProject/main
     -bash: /RicksStuff/Programming: No such file or directory
     Towers-Mac-Pro:~ tower$

If I remove the apostrophe AND the spaces in the file names, the console gives this message:

/RicksStuff/ProgrammingProjects/testProject/main
     Towers-Mac-Pro:~ tower$ /RicksStuff/ProgrammingProjects/testProject/main
     Hello world!  Mine!  All Mine!!!  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
     Towers-Mac-Pro:~ tower$

So the problem is completely resolved.  The old gcc compiler does not like spaces in file names, and the apostrophe is a complete no go. 

It might be worthwhile to put a check for the apostrophe in the mac version of Code::Blocks, (followed by a warning if found), as this is a legal file name on this platform.

Many thanks for the help!
Warm regards, Rick.