Author Topic: Weired menus in revision 1676  (Read 15015 times)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Weired menus in revision 1676
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 06:13:46 pm »
Umm... it is ok, but you know ordering the CDROM takes about 6 weeks, don't you.

You can download an ISO file from about 50 mirrors and via BitTorrent in about 8-9 minutes :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 06:24:26 pm »
Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to download it
anyway. The shipit link takes me to the Ubuntu: Distribution
Overview, with no way to order it. Wierd.

I live at the end of a county POTS, so to download
a full ISO is gonna take me days. But I'll start it....

thanks
pecan

Edit:

It's started. It'll only take 28 hours. I've done worse.
I can run the download while clobbering more GTK code.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:33:21 pm by Pecan »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 06:35:28 pm »
I noticed that the Ubuntu download says it uses
Gnome. Does that mean GTK?

Sorry for all the novice questions, but I havent used
unix in 10 years. And that one used X11

thanks
pecan

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 06:38:08 pm »
and KUBUNTU is based on kde, but you can do both.
On my SUSE10 is use Kde, but the GTK stuff is also installed.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 11:41:19 pm »
If you have a good machine you could also try "virtualization". VMware Player is free, QEMU's qemu-img can create VMware hard disks and VMXWizard can create a configuration file and also hard disks. You can even get Ubuntu ready for VMware Player (hard disk with Ubuntu installed + config file to run it) from vmware's site.

Of course installing Linux on your machine would make it run faster, but "virtualization" would save you the reboot :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 12:37:02 am »
colinux or xenlinux are the same as fast as the host system, because the guest systems doesn't have hardware emulated whatsoever.

And in the case of xenlinux, the multiple system you executes runs on the same ring level, however if you want to run windows+linux at the same time without patching windows, you'll need to wait for CPUs with "paravirtualization" registers which should be out (Intel and AMD) this year.

VMware is just too slow for me.
Dual boot is another option, but it's not the same as doing "ALT-TAB" and having another system. :D

I suppose the paradise of the cross-platform developer-tester is to have a Mac x86 with a CPU w/paravirtualization and 2GB of RAM, and then you install XENlinux as the OS on ring 0, and Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS X at the same level ring 1.
ALT-TAB and you're in windows, ALT-TAB and you're in mac os, ...
Windows hangs... no problem, ALT-TAB linux, and so on...

grv575

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 01:20:29 am »
colinux or xenlinux are the same as fast as the host system, because the guest systems doesn't have hardware emulated whatsoever.

And in the case of xenlinux, the multiple system you executes runs on the same ring level, however if you want to run windows+linux at the same time without patching windows, you'll need to wait for CPUs with "paravirtualization" registers which should be out (Intel and AMD) this year.

VMware is just too slow for me.
Dual boot is another option, but it's not the same as doing "ALT-TAB" and having another system. :D

I suppose the paradise of the cross-platform developer-tester is to have a Mac x86 with a CPU w/paravirtualization and 2GB of RAM, and then you install XENlinux as the OS on ring 0, and Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS X at the same level ring 1.
ALT-TAB and you're in windows, ALT-TAB and you're in mac os, ...
Windows hangs... no problem, ALT-TAB linux, and so on...

colinux multitasks between linux and windows (timeslices each os) so I believe it is ring0.

takeshimiya

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 02:23:26 am »
colinux multitasks between linux and windows (timeslices each os) so I believe it is ring0.

True, but you can run colinux from windows only (so you need windows installed) and if windows hangs or fails, the linux running in colinux will hangs also.

With XEN, any system that fails will not hang the rest. And windows isn't a requeriment, plus with paravirtualization it will support any OS that runs on that hardware (windows, linux, mac os, ...) without any modifications.

With XEN you could have for example Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64, Ubuntu Linux, Gentoo Linux x64, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, QNX, etc. running at the same time on ring0.

That's very unlikely for colinux though.