Author Topic: Disable Alphabetical Sorting  (Read 10524 times)

Offline pieman

• Multiple posting newcomer
Disable Alphabetical Sorting
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:14 am »
Alphabetical Sorting is lame. It doesn't ever help me. Please, how can I disable it?

Also, if I want to customize Code::Blocks, does its open effort provide a mother-of-all-CBP's -- I don't wan't to mess with setting up wxWidgets crap and all the other dependencies.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:21:54 am by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Disable Alphabetical Sorting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:35:50 am »
Alphabetical Sorting is lame. It doesn't ever help me. Please, how can I disable it?
Where? It is 100% not clear what sorting you are talking about.

BTW: if you're on windows you'll have to setup all that crap, sorry. Search the wiki for instructions.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pieman

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:07:44 am »
Where? Nowhere, apparently. I guess somebody should provide the option!
I like pie.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:51:25 am »
Where? Nowhere, apparently. I guess somebody should provide the option!
If you are not willing to tell where you see an issue with alpabetical sort or whatever, your posts are not helpful in any way.

In this case I have to consider them as spam and you as troll and ban you from this forum !

Please give more information abiut your problem or stop wasting our time with useless posts.
Be aware, that we (the administrators of this forum) have to read each and every post any body makes here (because of legal stuff).
So useless posts without any useful information waste the time we need for our real-life work, our families and (of course) for working on C::B.

Offline pieman

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:06:50 pm »
What? I'm not sure why everyone is acting angry, bu...

Oh wait. I misunderstood the question. :P The Management panel, under the projects tab... isn't that the only place where things are alphabetically sorted anyway? Wait, there's the Symbols and Files browser, but I never use those. Sorry for the confusion. :-[
I like pie.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »

Oh wait. I misunderstood the question. :P The Management panel, under the projects tab... isn't that the only place where things are alphabetically sorted anyway? Wait, there's the Symbols and Files browser, but I never use those. Sorry for the confusion. :-[

Still not certain where you are talking about.

But, try changing these settings.

Project -> Project Tree

Check-mark "Categorize by project type"
and the one(s) below that one.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:10 pm »
Because you are still failing to explain what your problem is!
We sort alphabetically a lot, so be as concrete as possible otherwise you're wasting everybody's time and people will start to ignore you!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pieman

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:02:44 am »
Yeah I'm familiar with the Project Tree options. I was asking for a "Disable Alphabetical Sorting" (and enable manual reordering) under Project Tree options. I've found a preference for linearity rather than hierarchy, so I'd rather sort files manually rather than need to use indented, expandable folders to organize things.

Here's some other ideas:

* Sorted sections.
Still sort the items, but only within user-designated sections (seperated by thin horizontal rulers). This would save space and make things look a lot more clean and explicit. I find traversing & maintaining hierarchies time wasting, inapt and anxiously-frustrating. Essentially, this means folders will be visualized as serial sections, so all the sub-folders below a folder with this option enabled will be flattened and replaced by horizontal rulers.

* Unitary Project Tree
Rather than an Open files list or tabs (I only enable file tabs when I want to arrange splitted windows), my ideal paradigm would be:

Everything under the project tree. No tabs. No discrete opened files list.

Unitary Project Tree mode will

1. Enable (new feature): Opened files will have a small close button right-aligned next to their filename. Files can be opened by single click (rather than double click). Note: The open files list should also have a small right-aligned close button next to each file. You probably should implement that.

2. Enable (involves a new feature, described above as well): Global Sorted-Sections mode, which renders both Virtual and Folders as on Disk as a flat tree, with folders' icons and names replaced by thin horizontal rulers, as well all indentation removed. (All sections are visible; like a completely expanded tree). Expandable/Collapsable project folders still make sense, though.

I guess the Sorted-Sections options should be toggleable per-project, as well. Maybe ever per folder.. so everything below the folder (its subfolders) will rendered in a serial-way while the option is enabled on that folder.

So to condense this, every folder will have a "Sorted Sections" or "Serial View" toggleable option (for however you want to name the option), and Unitary Project Tree mode will enable the sorted sections option on the entire project. The project's sub folders' settings won't be affected, but they will be rendered as horizontal rulers rather than indented folders until it is disabled for the entire project. I'm sure you understand what I'm implying, naturally. Subfolder's folder viewing options aren't even processed if their parent folder has this option enabled.

As projects are folders themselves (they're embedded in the Project Tree), the user may simply deactivate this part of Unitary Project Tree mode by right clicking the project and un-checking the Sorted Sections option. I hope I'm being as clear as possible.

3. Disable: Opened File Tabs (i.e. enable "Hide Editor Tabs")

These toggles may be re-manipulated by the user however they prefer. I guess Unitary Project Tree is more like an aggregated-setting than a mode. When toggled on, it simply sets these 3 settings to their corresponding configuration. When toggled off, Unitary Project Tree restores them to however the user had their settings configured previously.

Hmm. I guess it will enable the flattened view (sorted sections) for any projects opened after Unitary Project Tree mode is applied. i.e.

Code
OpenProject()
{
if (unitaryProjectMode)
{
set the project's folder setting to the sorted-sections option thing;
}
}

I don't know. If you people like these ideas, I'm sure you will find the best way to implement them.

I also suggest giving a toggle-icon somewhere to quickly toggle the opened files list. Maybe on the management panel (perhaps right-aligned to the Workspace home node) , or possibly better on the Main toolbar.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:38:14 am by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:06 am »
I see no reason to have that feature; likely no one else will either.
Edit: I have no idea about what the feature you described is supposed to do; maybe it makes sense to GUI people; but, to me it has no useful meaning.

If you want it; I suggest posting reasons for it.
And, submitting a patch to do it.

I would try using virtual folders before doing any of the above.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:06:34 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline pieman

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:07 am »
Okay. I was throwing my thoughts around in case someone else liked them and wanted to implement them for me. :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:46:12 am by pieman »
I like pie.