Author Topic: Running multiple instances doesn't seem to work  (Read 4283 times)

Offline sparhawk

• Multiple posting newcomer
Running multiple instances doesn't seem to work
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »
I tried to run a second instance of CB with a different project. I disabled "Settings->Environment->Allow only one instance".

When I doubleclicked on the projectfile, CB just hung and didn't respond anymore. I noticed that this "Settings->Environment->use an already running instance" doesn't really make sense when I want to run a second instance and disabled it. CB didn't get stuck but a second instances is also not started. It just reuses the already open one.

Of course I restarted CB when changing these settings.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Running multiple instances doesn't seem to work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:26:34 pm »
You have both disabled. This config works fine, I'm using it for almost forever.
What OS and C::B versions are you using?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sparhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
You have both disabled. This config works fine, I'm using it for almost forever.

And how do you start a new instance? It definitely doesn't work for me. CB behaves as if I selected only one instance being allowed, and if I have the "use already running" enabled then it just hangs when doubleclicking on a projectfile.

What OS and C::B versions are you using?

Windows 7, CB 13.12 Build Dec 27 2013 12:58:38 - wx2.8.12 (Windows unicode) 32 Bit.

Actually I found another bug related to this. I opened the "Project->rightClick->Build options..." and while this dialog was opened, I double clicked on a project file. The Dialog from the old project stayed open, while the new project was loaded in the main window (still only one instance though).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:56:01 pm by sparhawk »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:40:24 pm »
Uncheck both checkboxes, stop C::B. Start C::B by clicking on the exe, start another version again by clicking on the exe.

If you're telling us that it doesn't start another instance if you click on a cbp file, then this is another use case probably.
Please describe the exact steps to reproduce the problem you're seeing.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sparhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:09:50 am »
You are right. When I click on the CB exe to run it, then I can start several instances.

What I did was that I had CB open with one workspace. I double clicked on another workspace file "project2.workspace" in which case CB reuses the current instance instead. The same happens when using the project2.cbp file instead of the workspace file.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »
Someone familiar with the DDE code should tell if this is bug or expected behaviour.

Offline sparhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:10 am »
Any news on this?