Author Topic: Will Code::Blocks probably work for me?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Shellback3

• Single posting newcomer
Will Code::Blocks probably work for me?
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:01 pm »
Ubuntu 12.04
I have open source code from the vendor of a frame grabber which is installed on a PC204 computer.  I've been able get the really simple demonstration program working and can "talk" with the camera but I need to be able to modify the code to better understand how to use the camera.  The code is all straight C code, no C++, and there's no GUI.

I have all the code in one folder except for three include files that are used when the module/driver is compiled.  They reside elsewhere.  I can run the makefile and get a workable executable.

Most of my experience in over the last couple of decades is using an IDE for coding and I want to continue this.  I've had to learn Java, used Eclipse, and attempted to create a C project with their CDT plug-in but CDT flags the files full of errors that apparently result from it not using data from one or two of the external include files, that is, they are all variable names or defines.  I don't get any help from the Eclipse-CDT forum.

So with that not so short preamble my question is:  If I install Code::Blocks am I likely to be able to import this project?  Will the IDE garner information from the makefile?

Thanks

Nate

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Will Code::Blocks probably work for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »
Code::Blocks (CB) supports two types of projects.

1. The normal CB project.
2. A custom makefile project. (Option used when building from a user supplied makefile.)

For option 1, the Compiler matters a lot.

For option 2, the Compiler does NOT matter very much.

CB only supports debugging inside the IDE using gdb or cdb when using a normal CB project.
The best supported debugger is gdb.

What compiler are you use?
Where are the include files located?
On the same computer? Or on a network share?

CB used to have trouble (forgot what kind of trouble) with files on network share.
(No idea if problem was fixed.)

CB is just an IDE that primarily supports C or C++ programming (There is third party support of FORTRAN).  

CB does NOT to my knowledge support importing a Makefile; but, since it can use a makefile to build this might not matter.

Note: If you are using CMake or premake, both of these support exporting to CB and to makefiles.

Tim S.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:36:57 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Shellback3

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Will Code::Blocks probably work for me?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:20 pm »
I'm using gcc for the compiler.
All but three of the include files are in a user folder mixed in with the source files and the makefile.  The other three are in a couple of subfolders of /opt/arvoo/.

(I remember FORTRAN, my first language. it was really important to have the code lines start in the correct column and to not drop and mix up the punch cards.   ;D )