Author Topic: Keeping debug windows open  (Read 9691 times)

Offline eddyq

• Multiple posting newcomer
Keeping debug windows open
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:41 pm »
How can I keep the debug windows open such that they will come back up in later debug sessions?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Keeping debug windows open
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »
Which debug windows?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline eddyq

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »
Any that I have selected.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
Sorry, but you'll have to write more than a simple sentence, probably show some screen shot, etc.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline eddyq

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52:56 pm »
In the debugger you can turn on debug windows. But if you stop the debug session and start the debug again then the windows are no longer turned on.

Start a debug session by clicking on the red arrow. Select Debug-->Debugging Windows and you will see a list of windows that have check boxes next to them. Click one (e.g., Breakpoints). You will see all of your breakpoints. Now stop the debug session by clicking on the red x. Now start the session again by clicking on the red arrow. Select Debug-->Debugging Windows and you will see that your check mark is now off.

I can't do a screenshot because I'm using Virtual Box with a Linux system and I don't know how to do a screen shot in Linux. I'm sending this post using Windows.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:40 pm »
In the debugger you can turn on debug windows. But if you stop the debug session and start the debug again then the windows are no longer turned on.

Start a debug session by clicking on the red arrow. Select Debug-->Debugging Windows and you will see a list of windows that have check boxes next to them. Click one (e.g., Breakpoints). You will see all of your breakpoints. Now stop the debug session by clicking on the red x. Now start the session again by clicking on the red arrow. Select Debug-->Debugging Windows and you will see that your check mark is now off.
Do you have View->Perspective->Debugging? Do C::B switch automatically to it when you start debugging?
What version of C::B are you running?

I can't do a screenshot because I'm using Virtual Box with a Linux system and I don't know how to do a screen shot in Linux. I'm sending this post using Windows.
Press print screen or use gimp -> file -> create -> screen shot

Offline eddyq

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
For View->Perspective->Debugging I have GDB/CDB debugger:default. Yes, when I start debugging it switches to the debugger. I'm running 12.11

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:12:34 am »
For View->Perspective->Debugging I have GDB/CDB debugger:default. Yes, when I start debugging it switches to the debugger. I'm running 12.11
If you change the perspective, while it is active (the debugger is running or you switched to it manually) and switch back to another perspective (agian automatically at thje end of a debugging seesion, manually or on close of C::B) you should get an annoying dialog, that asks you to save the changed perspective.
You might have turned this off (for this dialog).
To turn it on again, you can go to "Settings -> Environment -> Disabled dialogs" to turn it on again.
You can also save the perspective manually.

Offline eddyq

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:59:59 pm »
The only dialogs I have disabled are:
- Dictionaries needed!
- Layout changed
- Project closed while debugging message
- Rebuild project
- Rebuild workspace

So I checked "Layout changed". That didn't give a dialog.

But learning about the perspective you are talking about I found out how to "fix" my problem. All I have to do after I turn on my "debug windows" is to go to View->Perspectives and click on "Save current".

So thanks for your help.

Eddy