Author Topic: Going to install Code::Blocks  (Read 5656 times)

iammisc

Going to install Code::Blocks
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:50:09 pm »
Hi!

Recently, my hard drive got corrupted and I had to reimage it. After doing so, I resolved to installing Code::Blocks on it over Dev-c++ but I would like to know how I should:

(1). Install Code::blocks(do I just use the installer with MingW32 or do I have to install MingW32 myself?)
(2). Convert my projects from .dev to the Code::Blocks Format.
(3). How I should get CVS working.(I need to use the SourceForge.net CVS repositories)

Thanks. I look forward to using Code::Blocks because its features are superior to that of Dev-c++ and it gives WAY more flexibility when it comes to compiler choice, etc.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
Re: Going to install Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:42:58 pm »
Recently, my hard drive got corrupted and I had to reimage it. After doing so, I resolved to installing Code::Blocks on it over Dev-c++ but I would like to know how I should:

(1). Install Code::blocks(do I just use the installer with MingW32 or do I have to install MingW32 myself?)
Depends. Does your image include MinGW? If not, use the installer with MinGW, otherwise the one without. Pretty simple really. Though you might also want to use a build from SVN, lots of new goodies since RC2. There should be a thread in the developement forum, I think. Note, however, that those don't offer installers with MinGW included. So either install separately or first install RC2+MinGW. Instructions to installing separately in the wiki.

Code::Blocks can import Dev-C++ projects. It's somewhere in the menus.

(3). How I should get CVS working.(I need to use the SourceForge.net CVS repositories)
TortoiseCVS

Thanks. I look forward to using Code::Blocks because its features are superior to that of Dev-c++ and it gives WAY more flexibility when it comes to compiler choice, etc.
Oh, if you want to use another compiler then you don't need MinGW. Unless you want to use both, of course ;).

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:01:08 pm »

You have several possibilities:

• Download C::B RC2 with MinGW boundle
  • Download and instal MinGW by yourself and then C::B RC2 or (and for me it is a better solution) a binary of C::B SVN version. As alternative you can download the sources and compile C::B by yourself

I would advice you to use a SVN version, because of bug fixes, improvments, new features, and so on :D.

Simply :):

Project-->Import-->Dev-C++ Project

C::B now uses SVN, which is better (and IMHO really better). You can just download, e.g., TortoiseSVN and use it to download the C::B sources.

Consult also the C::B wiki for useful information.

Michael

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:04:46 pm »

C::B now uses SVN, which is better (and IMHO really better). You can just download, e.g., TortoiseSVN and use it to download the C::B sources.

Did I miss where he said he wanted to use the C::B CVS repository? He just mentioned the sf.net CVS repositories. They have a few other projects in there too, you know ;).

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 09:15:15 pm »

Did I miss where he said he wanted to use the C::B CVS repository? He just mentioned the sf.net CVS repositories. They have a few other projects in there too, you know ;).

I just thought he wanted to have access to C::B CVS repository :oops:. But you are right. TortoiseCVS is surely a better solution to access sorceforge CVS repositories :).

Michael

iammisc

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 03:13:35 am »
Thanks for all your help!

And visit my sourceforge project at http://vwp.sourceforge.net

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 06:36:02 pm »
And visit my sourceforge project at http://vwp.sourceforge.net

Interesting project :D. I find great that you will use C::B for your project. Your feedback could be IMHO precious to improve C..B.

Michael